How Do I Get My Chickens To Sleep In There Coop ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickbrad24, Nov 3, 2014.

1. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    So this is my 2nd year keeping chickens. Last year was rough. I have a shed that I converted into a chicken coop but my Chickens rather sleep outside on top of there old smaller coop in trees or on our fence. Are there any tips or tricks to make them start sleeping inside ? I was thinking of locking them inside for a couple of days just so they get use to it is that a good idea ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!

2. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    That's exactly what you should do. They need to be confined to their coop so they associate that to be their safe sleeping spot. Make sure first that there is no one is being a bully over the roost bars. I had the same issue myself. My three new girls were sleeping on the roost. I just put them on the roost for a week and eventually they got it. Good luck

3. chickbrad24

chickbrad24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Excellent that is exactly what i am going to do.

4. alije

alije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Slovenia
    Maybe a problem is red mite infestation, I had the same problem and find out that inside the coop was infested with red mites... when get rid of them, the chicken go inside by themselves...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by