How do I get my chicks to go into their coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by plangley, Mar 9, 2014.

1. plangley

plangley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    It was finally warm enough for me to put my 8 week old chicks outside yesterday. They do not yet know how to climb the "ladder" to get up I to the coop. Last night and tonight at dusk, we had to go out and physically put them into the coop and close it up. Are we doing the right thing? We are new to chickens and are not really sure how to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.

We have had them in a brooder in our garage since they were 2 days old.

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    your doing fine usually when i add new chicks it takes around a week of putting them up but they'll get the hang of it. Some lock them in the coop for a few days til they figure out it is "home"

3. onebigglo1

onebigglo1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    I would suggest making them stay in the coop for a couple of weeks with their food and water so they get used to being in there. Then put them through the door making them go down the ramp into the run or where ever you are letting them forage. Chickens are not stupid creatures like some may think, but you do need to train them.

4. acman

acman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    martinsburg, WV
    Yes lock them in for a few days they will know after that to go in

5. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    If you haven't already, put a light in the coop. As it gets dark, they should head in once they know how to climb the ladder.

6. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    Can someone PLEASE advise me on a grow out coop??? What is the best way to go about starting chicks outside and putting them in with older hens?? We are going to be building another coop to connect with our run since our current coop is only big enough for the 4 laying hens we have now. But need to know best way to get the two groups used to each other. Please advise!!

7. horsedirt

horsedirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    Morriston Florida
    I wouldn't let them hang with each other until the chicks are 12 weeks. If you have a dog crate, put the chicks in it, put outside and let them get aquinted safely though the crate. It takes a lot if work, time to introduce newbies to an existing flock. Your advantage is that your chicks will be strength in numbers!

8. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    We'll my chicks range from about 2 weeks to about 5 days, so I know it will be awhile before they can go outside anyway. But we have 10 chicks altogether. 8 pullets and 2 Roos. 3 will be ready to go outside before the rest. Should we just go ahead and build the full size coop and then just make them a tiny run that may run next to the other run as to where they can see one another but just can't get to one another??

I also heard that when they get introduced to a coop, it's best to keep them just in the coop for a few days to a week so they know the coop is home.

Just wanna do the best thing for my babies!!

9. plangley

plangley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    I was very excited when we went out to put the babies in their coop last night and found 2 of them had already made their way up and were snuggled in for the night! Celebrating little victories!:D

10. brood mother

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    That's wonderful! I am afraid I'll go into withdrawals when mine go to the coop, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by