how do I get my ginger bread house roof to stay on????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AHappychick, Dec 15, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am not sure how to brace it so that it does not slide and can dry in the right place. I am not using a kit rather I am doing it all from scratch. I have the 4 walls up but cant get the roof to stay on.

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Perhaps you can put a cardboard box or a tin can inside it for support. My son made one once that had part of a milk carton in it.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I used to know this! Right now all I can think of is holding it in place by hand. Sorry.

4. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    What are you using to hold it on? I find an "icing" of just a little powdered sugar with just enough water in it to make a thickish paste works really well. You only have to hold it in place for a couple of minutes. It should be almost as thick as toothpaste. Just put a relatively thin line of it on the surfaces that will be sticking together, then gently press the pieces together and hold till they don't slide.

Otherwise, yeah, as others said, find something just the right height to prop it in place, and let it set, or hold it for a few minutes until it doesn't slide anymore.

Good luck! I love making gingerbread houses.

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok well I got one side up. Propped with a few of ds's blocks and some newspaper. I am hoping it sticks.

I am using a royal icing I made from Organic stuff (sugar, cream of tarter, and eggwhites)

This is my first time ever doing it.

6. frogs n chickens

frogs n chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    valley springs, calif.
    Wish I had the powdered sugar and water suggestion yesterday at my boys school when we were putting together the gingerbread houses there.[​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I want pictures!!

8. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I guess I cheat. I use tooth picks for nails and then cover the snapped off end with frosting.

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    all the pics are on the gingerbread contest pots but here is the finished pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BirdMom

BirdMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Beautiful! I love gingerbread houses. I love the Thomas train around it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by