How do I get my hen to set ????????????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by krv, Jan 2, 2009.

1. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    I have got a black cochen bantam pullet.She is laying.I put 3 bantam eggs and 5 standard eggs under her.All she is doing is laying more eggs.I did not want the eggs to go to waste.
    WHAT SHOULD I DO?????????????[​IMG] So, I turned to the internet.[​IMG]

Rick (son of krv)

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Are you trying to make her go broody, or is she sitting on the nest all day of her own choice?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cannot get her to set/brood eggs. It's hormonal and some are not broody types, though Cochins usually are.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:[​IMG]

Just because she has eggs under her does not mean she will go broody and set on them.

5. krv

krv Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    <<<Are you trying to make her go broody, or is she sitting on the nest all day of her own choice?>>>

I am trying to make her go broody. She just gets up in the nest to lay her egg and that's all. She just started laying at the end of November. Do I just keep the eggs she lays in there and not get them out? That is what seemed to work with my Japanese ones back in the summer. It took a lot of eggs, but it worked. I thought Cochens would go broody easier, right?

Thanks,
    Rick (son of krv)

6. tim_TX

tim_TX Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Some hens will not go broody until they have a large enough clutch of eggs.
    This is natural since embryo development in the new eggs will stall until she begins setting, and she wont do that until she thinks she has enough, thereby allowing her to hatch multiple chicks instead of just a couple. Get 8-12 fake eggs and put them in a nest box and see what she does.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Chickens are just like women... we go broody when we want to! [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You collect the eggs from the nests. When she does go broody, if she ever does, then you can put some you have under her. I'd keep them in a cool place, not the fridge, for a week at a time, then you'll always be prepared with eggs for her to brood. If she doesn't go broody that week, then put them in the fridge and start another collection. She may go broody, considering her breed, closer to spring.

9. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I wouldn't waste good eggs then, I would setting golf balls or fake eggs under her. If you find her on the nest at night and she doesn't want to leave thats a good sign she will brood. Then if and when she wants to set tight you can replace the fake eggs with the real ones. Keep your fresh eggs dated and in a cool dry spot in the house, anything over 10 days usually will not hatch. Keep them turned or tilted acouple times a day to keep the fertility disc from sticking to one side.

10. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Ive tried hatching eggs lots of times but every time I do they break when i Sit on them,good luck with your hen im sure she will set one day just be patient,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by