How do I get my hens to drink water?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ownerof7chicks, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ownerof7chicks

ownerof7chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    My hens will not drink water at all. They will only drink the water that I water my plants with. They don't drink it from their waterer. They only drink it from the ground. Now that it's winter all of my crops are harvested so they don't drink water anymore. They don't drink water in the summer either. Please help me find a solution so they wont be dehydrated!!

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What sort of waterer do you use? How often and how do you clean it? Are you putting any additives in the water? Is there anything in the area around the waterer that might be making them ucomfortable?

3. ownerof7chicks

ownerof7chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    I don't use a store bought waterer, but I just you a short round tin can. I clean it almost everyday. I don't put anything at all in the water. The waterer is right next to the food and they eat the food just fine.

4. AnnieE

AnnieE Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2014
    Southeast Michigan
    My chickens drank rain water spring, summer, and fall. When i had to switch to minicipal city water in winter, it took them a day or two to decide they were thirsty enough, lol.

One thing you can do is soak their feed in water for a day or two. Then theyll "drink" it when they eat. You can also fill up their waterer with water thats been sitting out for 24hrs. Chlorine will have evaporated by then.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Your profile doesn't have your location but I think that your chickens are drinking water just fine, otherwise they would all be dead already.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    FWIW, my horses will go to great lengths to drink from any puddle they can find over their nice, clean trough full of fresh water - the muddier the puddle the better, lol.

7. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    In some zoos that raise endangered bird species the water is either died with food coloring or else "flavored" with dirt to give the water a natural earth tone. Is contaminated water good for your flock? No. Can chickens tell good water from bad water? No.

8. chickengeorgeto

Dec 25, 2012
    What muddy water that my horses fail to drink they will roll and wallow in.

9. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    As the saying goes, your chickens' best water is only as good as your worst puddle! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by