How do I get my new pullets to go into their house at night?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ddfin, Mar 21, 2015.

1. ddfin

ddfin New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Got 3 pullets yesterday and it looks like they spent the night in their run rather than in their little house with a great perch.

Any suggestions on how to encourage them to use their little house?

Thank you,

Diana

2. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    Start to pick them up and put them in the coop they will soon get the idea.

3. ddfin

ddfin New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Ok, I'll try that.

Thanks,

Diana

4. mauihencatcher

mauihencatcher New Egg

Mar 21, 2015

5. mauihencatcher

mauihencatcher New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    hav u tried puttin their food n water in their house or usually if u shake their food make sure they can see the food bein put inside theyll follow the food in n if at night they arnt stayin inside still id suggestlockin em in at nite a few nites locked in may teach em that their house is nice warm n safe .it took me 3days an lotta treats n quite talkin to touch my newest wild hen not sure how shes gonna react when her new home n run is finished today! while im sure urs will learn that home is a great place ta be,goood luck !

6. ddfin

ddfin New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info. I will lock them in tonight with a little scratch in there.

Diana

1 person likes this.
  7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Sounds like they need "Coop Training". As they're new to their home, keep them confined to the coop for 5-7 days. Food, water, light, everything in the coop. That will imprint the coop to them and they'll know it's "Home". After the coop training is over and they're out in the run, they will come back to the coop in the evening.

If your coop is a tractor or similar with room for sleeping only, try turning on a light inside the coop in the evening. They'll seek the light and go in when it begins to get dark outside. Do that for about a week and that should train them to go into the coop when it's turning dusk.

Good luck!

8. ddfin

ddfin New Egg

Mar 17, 2015
    Thank you for the information.

Diana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by