How do I get my one day old coturnix chicks to eat and drink?!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Quail1994, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    How do I get my one day old coturnix chicks to eat and drink?
    What must I do?

And also,how long must they stay in the hatcher before moving them to the brooder after they hatched?!

Thank you

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

put the food and water in and take a dime and start to peck at the food with the dime, same with water. They will get the hang of it.

Till they are dry.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I move mine from hatcher to brooder twice a day: once in the morning and once again in the evening. If I have an 'early bird' loner I'll leave it in there until the next 'group' is ready to come out.

I never have to show my coturnix to eat or drink, they are very curious. But you can put something shiny on top of their feed so they peck at it. One thing I do is put the feed directly on the floor of their brooder for the first few days. When they walk on it they are enticed to eat it because it 'jumps'. I've never had trouble with them not eating or drinking.

4. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Now I've have a few...ahem "special ed" quail [​IMG] , so the first day>week I use a finch waterer so the darn things don't climb in and soak/drown in the water (i've had chicks fall asleep in the shallow pand and soak [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Unless you have some remedial quail....YOU WILL HAVE A FEW ROCKET SCIENTISTS, that can manipulate feeders and water systems. The others will learn from the braininess of ALPHAS.

Just put them on a big pile of GBS when they are dry, and let nature take it's course.

6. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
  7. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    also, i'm not sure if i'm the only person that does this, or if it even helps.... But once they are dried out and are a little bit more 'stable'.. ( i don't do this when they are first hatched), I pick them up, one by one... and position them in my hand where my fingers cup around their head... *note* i do not hurt my birds. I don't apply any pressure that would hurt my babies.* But anyways, i poke their beaks down into the water.. just enough so they get their 'beaks wet'. and it helps them kind of figure it out. same with the feed. I've never had any that go hungry.

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    Quote:makes sense, this works with alot of animals as well

9. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    i do this with all my birds, chickens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by