How do I get my young hens to go back into their coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kevintmckay, Jun 23, 2010.

1. kevintmckay

kevintmckay New Egg

May 18, 2010
    How do I get my young hens to go back into their coop by themselves? Now I need to chase them and put them in which is getting old fast [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:How old are they? How long have they lived in the coop? Where do you keep their food, in the run or the coop? Do they free-range?

I put my first batch of chickens in the big girl coop at about 6 weeks old and didn't let them out of the coop for about a week. This was upon advice that it helps them learn where home-base is and that they should return there at dusk. It worked for me.

3. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    I did that at first. is your coop in a run? entice them over with a treat and when they get in the run close put them in. You can also wait for them to go to bed then place them intheir coop., put a lighi in the coop to draw them in when it gets dark. just a few ideas to try [​IMG]

4. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    I just had to entice a young bird into bed by sitting in a chair shining a flashlight into his cage. He fussed a bit but I just sat quietly until he hopped in and began to eat. I sauntered over, closed the door and turned off his nightlight.

Silly chicken [​IMG]

5. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:How old are they? How long have they lived in the coop? Where do you keep their food, in the run or the coop? Do they free-range?

I put my first batch of chickens in the big girl coop at about 6 weeks old and didn't let them out of the coop for about a week. This was upon advice that it helps them learn where home-base is and that they should return there at dusk. It worked for me.

I agree with AlphaChick, sometimes you need to keep them in the coop for awhile when young so they learn that is their home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by