How do I get paint off hardware cloth?

Jitterbuggin

Chirping
Mar 25, 2021
So… painted the new coop… paid a teenager to do a lot of the trim. She only taped some of it, so a lot is a disaster. But to be honest, after she got things so messy, I got lazy too and made it worse (to heck with it, they’ll cover it with poop and dust anways.

But oh man tons of white drips look BAD. I can pick at it with my nails and get some off, but I haven’t managed to get it off with a Brillo pad or a sponge brush. I don’t want to use paint stripper because of the chickens.

How do I get this stuff off without harming the chickens or the integrity of the hardware cloth? I’ve got chronic pain, so the less elbow grease the better.

9322781D-ADB3-469E-89BB-89E7CF3E84B2.jpeg

(Learned two lessons: one - don’t hire teenagers to do precision work. Two - pay to get the coop painted before it is delivered)

Remember, you did a good thing having a teenager earn some money. Plus, you can't blame the kid if he/she wasn't trained to properly paint. Many adults don't pay attention to details nor do they think about it either. They just slap on the paint.
Next time, if there is one, teach the kid exactly what you want and how to do it "with" you. This is how they learn.
Yes, it looks a little messy but, at least you got what you paid for....a painted coop! Lol.
I don't mean to laugh at your expense but, gotta admit, now you have a good story about your coop. And... you didn't it!!!
Ps: I like black hardware cloth too. But, perhaps paint it a soft "pop" of color instead of black. And yes, use cardboard on the back side and don't forget to cut it out first. Then, I would roll the paint on.
Please post pictures!

I’d hire the kid back so they get to learn to deal with mistakes like this - have them wire brush off most of it, then give them a foam brush and roller to paint HC black…and the white paint again to cover the black that will get on it, lol

I personally wouldn’t use spray paint for HC surface area bigger than a piece of paper

Remember, you did a good thing having a teenager earn some money. Plus, you can't blame the kid if he/she wasn't trained to properly paint. Many adults don't pay attention to details nor do they think about it either. They just slap on the paint.
Next time, if there is one, teach the kid exactly what you want and how to do it "with" you. This is how they learn.
Yes, it looks a little messy but, at least you got what you paid for....a painted coop! Lol.
I don't mean to laugh at your expense but, gotta admit, now you have a good story about your coop. And... you didn't it!!!
Ps: I like black hardware cloth too. But, perhaps paint it a soft "pop" of color instead of black. And yes, use cardboard on the back side and don't forget to cut it out first. Then, I would roll the paint on.
Please post pictures!
Haha oh for sure. I hired a random teen and threw some paint stuff at them, asked them if they knew how to use it, and showed them what I wanted painted/taped off. Did she do it well? Nah. But the poor kid did it for hours with no complaint and it was hours I didn’t have to. Plus, I know first hand what it feels like to get burned out painting/protecting that dang coop (I primed most of it and spar urethaned a lot of it before giving in and paying a teen). I got what I paid for and have been getting a good laugh looking at the mistakes. That is some hard, boring as heck work hahaha

So… painted the new coop… paid a teenager to do a lot of the trim. She only taped some of it, so a lot is a disaster. But to be honest, after she got things so messy, I got lazy too and made it worse (to heck with it, they’ll cover it with poop and dust anways.

But oh man tons of white drips look BAD. I can pick at it with my nails and get some off, but I haven’t managed to get it off with a Brillo pad or a sponge brush. I don’t want to use paint stripper because of the chickens.

How do I get this stuff off without harming the chickens or the integrity of the hardware cloth? I’ve got chronic pain, so the less elbow grease the better.

View attachment 2766603

(Learned two lessons: one - don’t hire teenagers to do precision work. Two - pay to get the coop painted before it is delivered)
You can use a Stiff Wire Brush and I bet it will clean it up. You will need to get the heavy drips off anyway before you attempt to paint it if you want it too look nice. Remember, your chicken do not care.

I have definitely considered that! I love the look of black hardware cloth. Do you spray it on to keep it from dripping?

I personally would not use spray paint on wire because it would be a tremendous waste of some very pricey paint and it would be quite impossible to control the overspray. (I have used spray paint to paint some complex metal shapes and I swear that half the can was on the cardboard intstead of the decorative, iron brackets).

When I paint the wire on the new Chicken Palace we will use non-spray Rustoleum (or reasonable equivalent), and a paint roller with sponge brushes for the tight spots.

Latex paint usually comes off with a little abrasive manipulation so a wire brush would likely do the trick if you decide not to paint the cloth. Dipping the brush in paint thinner would help. Since it is so volatile, lock the chickens of the coop in the morning for the day. By bed time, it will be fine especially if your coop is properly ventilated.

Haha oh for sure. I hired a random teen and threw some paint stuff at them, asked them if they knew how to use it, and showed them what I wanted painted/taped off. Did she do it well? Nah. But the poor kid did it for hours with no complaint and it was hours I didn’t have to. Plus, I know first hand what it feels like to get burned out painting/protecting that dang coop (I primed most of it and spar urethaned a lot of it before giving in and paying a teen). I got what I paid for and have been getting a good laugh looking at the mistakes. That is some hard, boring as heck work hahaha
I'm so glad you can laugh. She didn't even complain and she stood there doing it. She probably thought the same thing as you
"That is some hard, boring as heck work" and I bet she'll never take a job like this again!! Lol.
Good for you!! I love it!

Back
Top Bottom