How do i get rid of snakes?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by shay20, May 27, 2010.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Ok, I want all teh snakes gone, [​IMG]
    I am sick of them, i have had such a bad drop in eggs this past 2 weeks and i know it is becouse of snakes, becouse we have seen so far 3 of them and hubby saw another huge brown one in my polish pen about a week ago but could not catch it.

How do i get rid of them?

2. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's my answer from another post. Another BYC'er commented that they did what I said here and havn't had any further snake problems.

If you want to discourage snakes, you must make sure that your yard in general, but especially around your chicken pens is competely clear and mowed. Leave no bushes or junk piles for them to have cover to hide under. Snakes hate crossing open areas without the cover of brush and high grass becuase it leaves them vulnerable to bird predation. Second, fill the gaps or holes around your pen with spray insulation foam. Third, if you can, keep baby chicks in brooder and grow out pens constructed with 1/4 inch hardware cloth. Fourth, collect your eggs regularly. Leaving eggs out provides opportunity and temptation. Lastly, cut down or eliminate your rodent population, which is probably what attracteda snake to your place initially. I klnow, people always say they don't have a rodent population, but you probably have more rodent's around your pens than you realize. Mice love to drink from water dishes, eat fallen food, and so do rats. So, keep the food stored in rodentproof containers, put uneaten food away at night, don't spill food when you are feeding. Use exclusion and traps to reduce your rodent population. Do these things and you will have less snakes. It's that simple.

Here is the other BYC'er comments:

I had a severe snake problem in my area and took all this advice and it WORKED! You'd be suprised how cleaning up and using that spray foam can make a world of difference. I also put mothballs in old milk jugs with holes punched in them (to let the smell out) under places like my back deck and by the coop.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I am not sure but I know the neighbors cat caught one here. Good Kitty. I feed her also so she pays for her keep. Snake was dispatched.

4. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    Only specific kinds of snakes eat eggs, Most are rare in your area. Are you sure it's a snake? It could ba a bird, rats, weasels, etc...

5. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    Quote:They make these things called shotguns. I find them very effective for the depletion of the snake poulation. And happily, no "catching" them!!

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:They make these things called shotguns. I find them very effective for the depletion of the snake poulation. And happily, no "catching" them!!

[​IMG]

7. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:if rats and weasels were get onto the pens (which wont be to hard for my pens) wont they go after my chickens instaed of the eggs?

8. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We had a snake that killed one of my broodies a couple days ago...after that we put moth balls everywhere around the chicken coup...and the run...since then...no other problems....

9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Quote:teh chickens dont eat them?
    could it be rats? i do see these holes everywhere.

10. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I put the broodies in a cage...thinking it would have been safer for them.. Go out one morning to feed them and find one broody...dead...head and neck feathers slimed down (hard for me to explain) She was smothered....My favorite Silkie/Cochin mix.... [​IMG] It had to have been a pretty large snake...because she was a big girl....none of the other broodies were even touched (had 4 in a cage)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by