How do I get started?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaranDude, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I'm only 16 and I am going to start incubating. I'm really interested in the genetics and just having the pure feeling that I helped life come onto this world. So I wanted to know if anyone had some tips, because I am in the dark about how exactly to do it. I have read books on it, but once it's done what should I do with the roosters, and If I start selling them then do I have to have any permit to do it?

Just asking for any pointers from the longtimer incubaters out their. And if I want to cross breed chickens then should I avoid anything because I'm breeding Ameraucanas and RIR in the spring and I'm a little iffy about how that will turn out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Do you have anyone in your area that you could "apprentice" with? Do a search for local breeders and volunteer to help them clean coops, or feed birds, or help around the farm. You'll gain a lot of knowledge, and the information they can supply you will be invaluable.

3. MaranDude

MaranDude Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    On my Computer
    I forgot to add that I have been co-elping my neighbor with her chickens but I felt it would be smart to incubate because of the raising prices.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by