How do i get the baby chicks to eat there treats???!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ragerkid2, May 8, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    There treats for heavens sake!!! They won't eat em! There 2 week old red sex links. Iv tried meal worms and bread... Nothing absoulety nothing. Now when I put a hand full of meal worms in my other brooder they go BALISTIC! I want to tame them but ts not working. Your help is greatly appreciated!
    -Brandon

2. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you try introducing the treats on a neutral surface?
    Mine were semi tame when I got them at 10 days old, but they didn't trust idle hands. I put their treats, especially messy treats like yogurt, on a tupperware lid and placed in in the corner of their brooder. I then tapped it a few times to get them to look at it, then removed my hand. After a couple times I'd just let my hand dangle in the brooder. Now they see my hand as the treat dispenser and will come running AND they recognize the white lids the treats are on. My EE is convinced that any abnomality, like the mole on my hand, is a treat and when it doesn't come off she pecks harder.
    Also might help if you put some of their starter on top of the treat too so they can target something to peck at, and offer colorful treats like strawberries.

3. Make sure they have grit..... we have used live bugs and they ♥♥♥ them (not a ton of them, but enough for football)! We've also had them outside where they eat a wee little bit grass. We give yogurt every day, with their food on top (to help not be so sloppy). Of course, we've been hand feeding and handling since we got them, so they pretty well know that the hand/s= good stuff.

You've probably seen the treat chart already: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181429

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=302026

4. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I had the same problem. I tried strawberries cut up on a plastic lid and they just starred at it like it was an alien or something. I left it in there for aout an hour and nothing happened. They even walked by it to get to the reg food? They will eat grit but just not treats?

5. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I have never seen a chicken refuse grated cheese... My silkie chicks used to be terrified of my hand. It took one time only with grated cheese in my hand and they jump up on my hand to get it...

6. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Same thing happens to my parakeets. They just won't. I would wrap them in a towel and stuff the treats and healthy food in their beaks, but they JUST WON'T! But maybe it works with chickens. Try it.

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    OK, first off, this is the same as complaining that your kids won't eat candy. It isn't really a problem.

If you want them to eat a new food just leave the food in the pen, someone will try it and spread the word.

It helps to "peck" at the food with your fingers sometimes to show them it is good. Picking the food up and dropping it in front of them repeatedly is also a way to get them interested.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Chickens don't like anything strange. Last summer, I gathered a cup of corn ear worms when harvesting sweet corn and dumped them near a bunch of 12 week old chicks. The chicks gahered around and looked at the worms. Gradually a couple of brave ones edged toward the worms. Then a worm wiggled. They ran away. This went on for several minutes until a chick got brave enough to try one. All those worms were gone in less than 30 seconds.

It takes time with some. When one gets brave enough to try one, they will all learn to love them. But first one has to get brave.

9. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Make a noise to get their attention. Then, when the chicks are looking, eat a couple of meal worms. Once they see their mama eating worms, they'll follow suit. [​IMG]

DH

10. Quote:[​IMG] Dh gave them some scrambled eggs this morning. "Hey, I thought you said they liked eggs?" "Ya, but you put it in a bowl and they haven't ever seen a bowl before." Put it on the plate and on the ground- no problem. Really for us, though, anything in the hand, on a plate or coming out of a cup they know is gonna be good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by