How do I get the girls to eat the powdery part of crumbles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by clickncluck, Jul 6, 2011.

1. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    My girls are 18 weeks now. They have always had crumbles. The last batch though seems to be more powder than crumbles and they wonʻt eat it. It is in a big pile on the ground. I tried adding some water to the powdery stuff but they didnʻt go for it. I hate that there is so much waste. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Try mixing the powdery bits into oatmeal. Old fashioned rolled oats, crumbles (or pellets), 1-2 eggs with shells (beaten well). Microwave 3-4 min. and let cool in fridge. It hardens up and they peck at it (like a forage cake).

You can also add anything else you like--for instance, grated carrot, ground flax, other grains, etc.

Mine LOVE it!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

A little shot of water, stir, and Ta Da!!! You have a stiff mush and my hens LOVE it.

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Fred's Hens :

A little shot of water, stir, and Ta Da!!! You have a stiff mush and my hens LOVE it.

That's what I did with mine when they were younger. In the winter, I heat it up & they gobble it up!!​

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You can also mix some with plain unsweetened yogurt,then freeze it for a refreshing summer treat.

6. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    I sometimes think that I donʻt really have chickens. They are the pickiest eaters ever. I tried the water mixed in to make a mash. No go. They have yet to appreciate fine greek yogurt. They had a phase where they liked greens, now not so much. Bugs same story. Yesterday they did decide to eat some bread. I keep offering them things but they turn their beaks up at almost everything. They have liked cheerios for 2 whole weeks now. Yikes.

7. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Fred's Hens :

Mix with water to get a paste and then add in some mashed banana and my Jersey Giant will knock other hens out of her way to get to it. Grated zucchini or apple makes in interesting too.​

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:I think our chicks hatched from the same batch. I thought I had the pickiest eaters EVER. I'm convinced our girls are related.

9. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    Use it to feed your mealworms. Feed the mealworms to the birds.

[​IMG]

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Fred's Hens :

X2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by