1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how do I get the prior top hen to come out of the coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I have 3 ladies, an Orp, an Americauna and a White Rock. The Am was the top gal until it appears the White rock ( who was at the bottom) decided to challenge her and at more than double the Americauna's size and the same age, won. I think this occured yesterday. The Americauna was in the nesting box when I got home. She is the only one laying so far at 20 weeks. I didnt think too much about it but today we watched and she only came out when taken out of the nesting box. She was immediatly chased and jumped on by the Rock. When I got everyone seperated I noticed some blood on the Am' s head. The Am is now in a run and coop. The other two I left out in the yard tonight. I dont think we have any preditors in the city other than the neighbor cats who give the birds a wide berth. They found the huge dog igloo and moved in for the night ( dog was rehomed) . at 20 weeks, no one sleeps on roosts I provide but prefer to sleep on the ground still.

The Am who is tentative about eating out of my hand, just layed there when I openned the nesting boxes but looked fine when she was running in the yard. I plan to move food into the coop tomorrow although she has the protection of the run from the Rock now. I hate to put her in the yard since she lays her eggs in the coop now. Should I move the neutral Orp in with her? they all love to run in the yard. how do I get the Am to come outside again? I don't know if she is eating.

Thanks

2. jelly_biscuit

jelly_biscuit Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I wouldn't be so sure that there are no predators in the city.

3. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    You'd be suprised what predators live in the city lurk in the city. Raccoons, hawks, foxes, and even the odd cougar have been found roaming big cities across the country, but i digress, back to the issue at hand. The only thing you can really do is to let your chickens hash it out amongst themselves. Things may seem to get ugly and they will fight every so often but thats just to re-establish the pecking order. Just watch for any serious problems like excessive fighting. I had a similar problem not to long ago. When i introduced some new easter egger hens to my flock the existing hens picked and bullied them. Once the pecking order was re-established, things quieted down and ive had no problems since then.

4. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    it seems excssive to me when the hen wont even come out of the laying box now.. I am afraid she will get weak from lack of water and food

Quote:

5. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    you say she is the only one laying. Is she sitting on eggs? She may have gone broody on you. If she is sitting on eggs, take them away form here everytime she lays and keep moving her out of the box. If they free range, close the door to the box so she cant get back in during the day.

6. Chickiemom25

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    Every day we remove the egg... yes she does sit on it. I wil try blocking her out of the boxes but then I will have to have an egg hunt to find the new egg [​IMG]

7. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Yeah you are probably right. I have not had one go broody on me so I am not the best advise giver. Do a search for breaking broody's there are lots of threads about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by