How do I get the scabby blood off *Update*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bearsfan, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Bearsfan

Bearsfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    There is a cut on the back of her comb but I have cleaned the cut and around it with peroxide. The scabby blood on her head however is hard as a rock. I had a wet towel and was wetting and wiping the scabby mess to no avail. I saw some red under the scab on her head and think that she was getting pecked there also. She is in isolation now so she is safe from any further pecking. Should I let the scabs run their course? Or do I need to try and clean them off at all costs?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Fresh wounds basicaly just should have a good initial cleaning . I use a wound wash like Bandaid brand available at most store's.Pat the area dry.I usualy use the spray anitibiotic for about the first week since is less invasive than messing with the wound more trying to put ointment on it, but since its a head wound be careful if you spray and dont get it in eye's or nostril's.Scabbing is a natural healing process.Dont over rub the wound or excessivley clean it.After a week wound's usualy are closed or dried enough to start putting a little antibiotic ointment on which will soften the healed scab's then.Just my opinion and the way I treat wound's here should I get them.So sorry about your bird and I think it will be fine I have dealt with WAY worse and had survivor duck's, geese,chciken's and even a goat with a severe ripped horn.Let Us know how it does. Hugggzzz for your bird.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you put Blu Kote on it. It will disinfect and protect the comb. It will also discourage picking/pecking.

4. Bearsfan

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Thank you for the replies.

I will post an update or two as to how she is doing. Today she looks the same as yesterday but she keeps scratching at her head with her foot. I'm going to put some antiseptic on it in the morning again.

5. Bearsfan

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    *Update*

Here is the progress on healing. The back of the comb has a whitish color to it around the cut. She has not been cooperative when it comes to cleaning it off. I did what I could. There is still some healing to go before I put her back in with the others. What do you think? Does it look like it is healing well?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looking real good! Looks like the scab is just drying up. Let it heal and keep her seperated til it disappears.

7. scooterward

scooterward Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Lenoir City, TN
    This is what exactly happened to my NH Red pullet, Roza, yesterday evening and I've been so worried about her. Yay for this forum! I knew this couldn't have been the first time for this episode to happen. One of my roosters got really aggressive with her. I cleaned her up with peroxide several times. She keeps shaking her head or scratching it and making it bleed again. We put a big dog crate in the coop with water and food and had her sleep in there last night. This morning, I let the rest of the flock out and kept her in the coop with a buddy for company. I'll get some BluKote on my way home from work and put that on her. People also mentioned Neosporin too but I think I'll go with BluKote.

Thanks also for the progress picture so I know that mine will be ok too.

Q: Did you segregate/quarantine her? If so, how long? I noticed the inital post is 8/3 and the update is 8/14.

Thank you!

Hugs to your chicken and glad she's better!

8. Sweetpeaswan

Sweetpeaswan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hey !!! she's looking good, nice job... When i had birds get to that healing point i rubbed a little bag balm on her comb.
    other then that keep up the good work.

9. Bearsfan

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Quote:She has been in a pen by herself since the incident. She will be there until that comb looks like it could handle some tugging. I just know when I try to introduce her back in it's going to be a little rough at first but I want to give her the best chance possible. I do let her out to do some supervised free range and she spends a lot of time mingling with the others through the wire. They will even lie down next to each other divided only by the wire for the run.

10. Bearsfan

Oct 21, 2009
    Hannibal, MO
    Thanks for the support!

She is still shaking her head every once in a while, I think that the scab might be itching. Otherwise she is a happy looking girl. I'm going to try to get some bag balm on the comb and see if that helps the head shaking thing. As you can see in the pics the back of her comb has a lean to it now that it didn't have before. I haven't told her that yet, I don't want her to get a complex.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by