How do I get them in the pond???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Laney, May 12, 2009.

1. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I have some 9 week old Ducks. 1 Khaki campbell, 1 Pekin, 1 Chocolate Runner, 1 Definite Cayuga, and 1 we thought was a Cayuga that is looking more like a runner now and 1 Ancona.

Here is the problem. They will not go into the pond. They absolutly love the pool we got for them. The adult ducks from the pond came to visit them when we had the penned on the lanai. We have now turned them loose with chickens in the goat pasture. We'll take them down to the pond as we can but they will not go into the water.

We have tried throwing them into the water. They panic and come straight back to the shore. We've tried gently holding them in the water from shore until the calm down and drink...they just jump right out anyway.....

I'm at a loss. There are other ducks in the pond, as well as 2 geese... what can we do to entice these ducks to swim and live at our pond?????

Laney

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Most people can't keep ducks OUT of their pond. Are their big turtles in there or something?

3. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    No!!! It's what I can't understand. No big turtles. We've never seen a snapper, and only ones about the size of my hand (which is the size of a 5yo's as I'm 5'1"). The other ducks are out there swimming away. The geese are out there swimming away.

The new ducks at 9 weeks old can see them swimming away. You'd think we were asking them to swim in acid.

We herd them to the pond and they will stop at the bank and look for some other direction to flee in.

We had some success this afternoon. Some of them actually went to the edge and drank out of the water on their own. That is the closest they have gotten without being forced in.

I know the runners aren't huge swimmers the but Rouen and Pekin should be screaming to get into that pond.

Laney

4. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    My 6 Pekins did that to me for months. We tried everything to get them to stay in but they would just panic. We just kept trying occasionally so we wouldn't freak them out too much. Now they line up at the gate to go to the pond. I guess some just need time.

5. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    How about throwing some lettuce or some floaty type of snack. Maybe they will jump in for it!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Hummm...maybe if you are patient, they will slowly warm up to the idea. You could try sprinkling their favorite greens in the water near the shore, then slowly throwing them out further and further each time.

As for runners not being big swimmers, my runner is always the first one in to the pond and my buff/khaki mix wont go in at all.

[​IMG] I think we all posted at the same time.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  7. jimmoose

jimmoose Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Edisto Island SC
    Take up the kiddie pool and start feeding them near the water or along
    the edge. They'll go in to clean themselves and then will gradually
    be in it all day. This is from experience, ours did the same and it was
    frustrating. After a few days they went in and stay out there all day
    long. Give it a week tops and you won't be able to keep them out
    of it.
    jim

8. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    They will go when they're ready. Don't force the issue. They have to be fully feathered and properly sealed against water before they'll spend any amount of time in it. My ducks stayed out of my 3/4 acre pond until they were good and ready, then they hardly came out of it. They'll be a year old in July.

9. CurlyLindsay

CurlyLindsay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    MO
    My friend had ducks so imprinted to her that she had to row out in a rowboat to get them to swim in her pond. [​IMG] Once out, they stayed out. [​IMG] Ducks are funny. [​IMG]

10. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My rouens wouldn't go into our pond at all their first year. The next year, they would play around the edges. Finally this year (yes they are 3 years old) they are enjoying swimming in the pond. I never thought ducks wouldn't like a pond! Give them time, they will learn to love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by