How do I get them to lay more eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SoccerMomof7, Feb 10, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay I know that they have started because I was getting like 10 eggs a day like 3 weeks ago and now it is even nicer weather then it was and I am lucky to get 3-5 eggs! What can I do?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They were probably pretty stressed by all the horrible weather the last 2 weeks. They will be fine after some good weather and longer day light hours

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    this may sound far fetched
    but try mixing a little hot red pepper flakes
    into their feed. once a month.
    It worked for me..

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    LOL or mybe they just wanted to be nice..
    but really it did make a difference.

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Can you tell us about their diet?

Steve

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Give them more light, this triggers them to think that the days are getting longer and will cause more hens to lay.

7. greenesacres

greenesacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have a low wattage bulb in my hen house. I also feed laying mash and a high protein game bird crumble. They lay everyday and take turns waiting to get on the nest, ha!

8. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    we never wanted to do the light thingy...but then when we where getting NO EGGS from 26 chickens and I ALMOST had to buy store eggs <<shudder>>> we put a light on a timer in the coop, giving them only one more hour in the evening and one more hour in the morning, the very next day they are laying again......we went from no eggs for the last 2 months and now in just 3 days we are up to 5 a day...and hopefully by the end of the week we will be back to a dozen a day!!!! so a little light helps, and we didnt over do it...I dont like the idea of forcing them, I want them to have normal cycle and rest in the winter...but this seems perfect!

~Tiff~

9. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am feeding them laying pellets, scratch grains, whatever they get outside and I let them have some leftovers from the kids! They only get very select scraps.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Two things come to mind. How old are they? Chickens can go thru a mini-moult in the 7 to 8 month range and the big moult comes around 18 months. They won't lay while in the throes of a moult.
    Also, are they free ranging at all? If so, sounds like it's time for an easter egg hunt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by