How do I get them to like me. *tear* Very sad.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by USMCwifey, May 11, 2011.

1. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    I got my 6 White Pekins when they were about 3 days old. I picked them up, fed them by hand, and would always talk to them and see what they were up to. Now they are 3 weeks old and they don't love on me at all. If I walk up to them they run away, the only time to come up to me is when I have snacks or feed/ water them. They barely let me touch them any other time and it's kinda sad. [​IMG] I keep seeing you all have ducks that love the attention and want to be around, but my ducks just seem like wild park ducks. Only come around when there's food. [​IMG] Is there anything I can do or is it too late?! Is it because there is more of them and they've just bonded with each other?

2. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Mine are skittish too, and they're about 2.5 weeks old. Once I pick them up they settle down and will nibble on me, etc. But I think it's kind of the "birdy way" for them to be wary of people. They really are an animal with little defenses, so being overly cautious is how they survive. I have one very social adult drake, but the rest of the big ones don't like to be touched either. But I still know they like me, as they are always there to greet me when I come outside, and seem to enjoy my presence.

Just hang in there, spend a lot of calm time talking to them, and just do your best to earn their trust. They'll come around eventually. Even if they don't like being handled, they still love you.

3. USMCwifey

USMCwifey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    WNY
    Quote:Thanks, I hope so! I love my ducks so much and I feel like I did something wrong because they want nothing to do with me until foods around. LoL! I'll just keep spoiling them and hand feeding them snacks.

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

The more babies you have the more they depend on each other and not you. Yu will find that they run every time they see you but keep picking them up and handling them. You will find that once they are outside you wont be able to catch them but once they are adults and know you they will come up to oyu and before long you will be telling them to move coz they will be under your feet [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by