1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get them to stay around?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have no problems with my 7 buff orps, rir and my cochin roo. But my 8 Delaware Blue hens and 2 EE's are always leaving the yard! They fly up and over the fence and out they go! I have tried locking them in and they just fly up and out. I am short on money so at this point, covering the run isn't an option for at least another 2 weeks. They are at laying age but I haven't gotten any eggs yet (here in the coop) I am worried that they are gong to start laying out in the bushes and not learn to lay them here..plus I don't want babies to magically show up!

How can I teach them to lay in the coop if they won't stay here?? [​IMG]

2. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    You could try clipping their wings. I clip to mine when they do that. After a while they forget about getting out.

3. Bec

How does that affect their ability to get away from a predator? Is it hard to clip them? I would love for them to forget about the oh-so-loved bushes!!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you clip only one side of the wings along the flight fleathers it inhibits them being able to catch air and actually fly.

Clipping also means they can't fly away from predators or danger.

5. Bec

But at the same time, they should be in the backyard and out of harms way, I will give it a try tonight when everyone is tucked in. They run pretty fast too, but it is rare that something will come into the backyard..most of the problems we have are out in the wild!

6. Bec

OK, Hubby and I clipped one wing on each of the escapees! Didn't work! I was watching them this morning and one by one, just like any other morning, over the fence they went! [​IMG] I guess both wings is next!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did you clip only the flight feathers on one side? How much did you clip?

If you clip the other side they won't go off balance, they will fly better.

8. Bec

I did only the flight feathers on one side. I wasn't sure how short I could go so I kept it in line with the rest of the feathers.
    The good news is,
    I was just out checking on them and most of them are in the yard, the others that can still go up and over are back in!

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you didn't mention how large your run is, so I didn't know how much footage you needed to cover, but when your finances allow, you might check at Lowes for the deer netting. It's $13.00 (+ tax) for a roll 100' long and 7' wide. (that price is in western KY.) I'm going to order the electronet fencing today and use the deer netting to cover the run. I can still let them freerange while I'm home, but I'll feel a lot better if I have to go somewhere during the day if I can leave them in a covered run behind a safety fence. [​IMG] I hope you can get your wayward ones to start sticking around with the others. [​IMG]

10. Bec

That is a great idea! I will have to go to lowes and take a look!
    I will be able to get some in about 2 weeks or so, their pen right now is only 10x10 but we are looking for an extra panel of fencing to extend it. The big pen is 16x10 but the chickens in that group don't have an interest in leaving!They free range right now, but the ultimate goal is to have one group in one pen and one group in another, that was I can alternate free ranging and not have 19 chickens in my backyard all at the same time. I would love to just know that they aren't sitting targets when they are locked in, that netting sound perfect!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by