1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I get this off of my chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PoultryGirly, Mar 2, 2013.

1. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Hi. I have just hatched out a "mutt" chick from my eggs. It has the yellow goop coming from its bum like the other chicks had, but this time the yellow goop is wrapped around the chick's leg which is then connected to what I think is the umbilical cord. The cord is attached to the shell so the chick is carrying the shell around with him. What should I do? Can I cut the cord? Thanks! Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

2. kentuckygirl1

kentuckygirl1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    Irvine, Kentucky
    I am not an expert by any means, but I have had a chick hatch out that was stuck the way it sounds that your new baby is. I did eventually pull it off very carefully and the baby died, not telling to take it off or leave just telling you what happened to me. I pray someone will reply to your question quickly , I think it is the umbilical cord and thats what happened to mine. I wish I could tell you what to do, I have always heard dont help them , it is hard when something like this is happening

3. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Now I have another chick with a string of hatching gunk on it that is gooey but hardening. The other chicks are picking at the goop. Should I cut the gunk off?

4. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Anyone?

5. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    By the way he's 6 hours old and can't walk well. Is that normal?

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    For what its wroth dont remove anything just remove the other chicks it should fall off on its own. Pulling it can pull the innerds out.

7. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    Is the chick weak? It's 6 hours old and can't walk. Well, it wobbles around, but most of the time it lys down.

8. Avianman

Avianman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    I've had chicks wobble for the first three days, and then grow up to be just fine. Nice thing is that the other chicks won't pick on him at this age. The "suitcase" will dry up and fall off, no worries there. Don't pull on it! Don't worry about it getting to food and water right now, either.

9. PoultryGirly

Mar 28, 2012
    So we put 5 of the bigger chicks into the brooder and there are 3 in the incubator. The chick lays down a lot. Is this normal? I wonder if one of his legs is deformed? I'm very worried!

10. Avianman

Avianman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    It could be. I have had plenty that just lie down almost constantly for the first two or three days. Let him rest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by