How do I give meds with eyedropper?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CathyM, Feb 5, 2011.

1. CathyM

CathyM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Hi -
    I'm trying to get my hens to drink the water-soluable Tylan, and to be sure, I wanted to give them at least some down their throats via an eye dropper, as I read some folks do here. But I can't hold a struggling hen, open her mouth and squirt liquid down -- is there some trick?? I have them penned with only the medicated water to drink, but wanted to be sure they are drinking.
    Thanks for any hints and suggestions!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Gently pull the wattles down, the mouth will open. It helps if someone else is holding the hen.

3. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    Thanks, Dawg! I can see that would be easier with 4 hands! [​IMG] But that's helpful info! She certainly wasn't gonna let me pry it open...

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Oh gosh, I'm never comfy using an eye dropper. We hatched and hand fed birds of all types for years and always inserted a feeding tube, taking care to be sure it was inserted correctly. Still makes me nervous because of human errors in the past, even with feeding tubes. [​IMG] Eye droppers make me break out in a sweat.

5. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    Glad to know I"m not the only nervous user... but I can't imagine inserting a feeding tube if it's just me and the hen... I wonder if I can put something delicious in the water to encourage extra drinking? Just so I'm sure they get enough of the antibiotic...

6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think the best way is to inject meds into mealworms and give it to them that way.No bird can resist a mealworm.It may take 4 or 5 mealworm to get enough meds in them.
    In N.H.,Tony.

SillyPetRooster likes this.
  7. CathyM

Jan 27, 2011
    Oh, good idea! I tried to marinate peas in the medicine water, and of course they ate them up... but hard to know how much medicine they got... they sound better this morning, so that's great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by