How do I go about creating blue laced wyandotte?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nzchicke, Jan 28, 2010.

1. nzchicke

nzchicke Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    I want to create the blue laced gold (maybe later the red?) and the blue laced silver?
    I can't find any large breed blue wyandottes (don't think they exist here) so I will have to use another blue breed... would plymouth rock be ok?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!!![​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    check your locals first... there's probably one already done for you...

3. nzchicke

Jan 28, 2010
    there is one line I know of. Long story short.. I am not keen on them they leave a bit to be desired and were created recently so they still have alot of 'throw back' for the crazy price per egg.

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

make friends with that person and offer to 'help' for 'free' ?

5. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:where about are you?

6. Kiwibird

Kiwibird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2008
    NZ
    Several people have listed these on Trademe at various times, coming from various areas of NZ, although it is possible that they all have links to the lines you have concerns about.

There is an Australian poultry forum with a member who posted a lot about experiments in breeding blue laced wyandottes a while back. Have a look here http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7986261&start=0&hilit=blue+laced+wyandotte , but I think there are other threads too, explaining how it all works. Here is a page on a bit of the genetics, by the same person http://bluelacedgold.wordpress.com/the-variety-blg/ but it doesn't seem to say how to get started at a quick glance. I read it all about a year ago but can't remember the details at this stage.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:You would have to have some kind of a laced breed or a penciled breed, a breed that has a rose comb and a bred that is blue. What breeds do you have to work with?

Tim

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. nzchicke

Jan 28, 2010
    I am in the top of the south Island.

We have large wyandottes in a few colours (white, GL, SL,columbian and a few less common ones)... as for any othe large heavy breeds in blue/splash.... umm PR's, orpingtons, australorps, and I think that is it.

9. nzpouter

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    there were some shown in Chch about 3 years ago..... not sure if I still have the catalogue...

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Can you obtain a gold laced wyandotte and a blue or splash plymouth rock.

Tim

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by