How do I go about introducing new young Silkie hens to my flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poliwag, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    I just bought two new 3 month old Silkie hens today and I am unsure how to introduce them to my almost 5 month old hens and a rooster. I was suggested to put them in their new pen at night with the other Silkies while they were roosting so when they wake up it shouldn't be as big of a deal for them. But I am worried about the older ones hurting them. They are about half their size and the rooster is about 3 times their size, if not bigger!

I decided to put them in with the rest of my Silkies with a big head of lettuce. I sat with them the whole time as they tucked into the lettuce. The rooster kept "flaring" at the younger Silkies and would peck them. I am afraid to leave them down there... without me, my older Silkies would hurt them.

There was actually a Silkie that wasn't bothered by them at all. She didn't peck them at all either. (She's not in any of the pictures below)

Here are some pictures of when I put the younger Silkies in their new pen:

[​IMG]
    Far back left, Roxy the Rooster. Front left, Jess the hen. Behind the lettuce, Precious the hen. In front of lettuce, Princess the young Silkie hen. Far right, Poly the other young Silkie hen.

[​IMG]
    Front, Princess. Back, Precious.

[​IMG]
    Front, Precious. Middle, Roxy. Back, Jess. They were all hiding inside the coop. Cowards [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Princess, Poly and Dizzy... the Duck.

2. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Were it me, i would create a separation in the pen so they can see each other but the little ones will be safe. Then let them be together when you are there to supervise. i would give them at least another month of protective separation before allowing them to be together without you there.

By the way, they are all very pretty!

3. Poliwag

Poliwag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Australia
    Quote:I wish I could do that but I have to be wary of predictors. There is only one door in/out and it wouldn't be possible to put them in a separate pen as it would leave them outside or only inside.

Room is a bit of a problem. At the moment they are in a very small "pen" just on the front porch. There isn't much space for them in there. It's just basicly big enough for them not to hit their heads on the roof.

Thank you. They seem to be very clean chooks o.o

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by