How do I go about putting refridgerated eggs under my broody?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by karlamaria, Mar 22, 2013.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    My broody is not cooperating, she wants to raise chicks real bad , and last year I put fertilized eggs under her from a local farmer. Well she is broody again and bad lol, so I went and got more fertile eggs, but they were already refridgerated :(
    So how do I put these eggs under her? Will she take cool eggs or do I need to warm them, and how do I warm them?
    Also would anyone know what color a egg would be if the rooster was a huge white rooster and the female was a barred rock? Some of the eggs I got were white, some were pinkish colored and the gal says she does not know what kind of chickens she has. Do you think they will hatch ?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There are a lot of white breeds/varieties. Some lay brown eggs, some white. If there are white and brown eggs from that cross then perhaps the roo is a white leghorn. There are white rocks but that crossed with a barred rock would all be brown eggs.
    Are the different colored eggs from the same hen?
    Refrigeration isn't necessarily a bad thng. Bring them to room temp and then put them under her.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  3. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Well she took the eggs and put them under her. I gave er all white one a real light super light brown ( looked almost yellow) and 1 light brown one. She was happy as a clam. We shall see what hat he's, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of the shells . Te white bird I assume is a leg horn, and so are some of the hens. She said she had some white he's, and a big giant white rooster. Hoping I get a white egg layer then I will have basically every color :) well green, blue, pinkish ( my brahma) , deep red mahogany ( copper maran ) and light and deep browns. I will be happy .

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Make sure you mark the eggs you put under her so you can tell if any other hens volunteer any more.

5. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    yeah there was an extra egg in there today, I will candle in ten days and see what's going on. I did mark these so no more are snuck in lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by