How do i harden up one of my girls eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mamaoflots, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    We have 3 chickens, and 2 of them produce nice hard shells, but Caitlin's eggs are often paper thin, cant always pick them up without them squishing in your hand. Sometimes if she has laid before the others and I don't get there quick enough, someone else has sat on it!
    How can I harden them up? We feed them Dodson and Horell layers pellets, corn, and various food scraps, fruit and veg. Is there anything else I can try.

We think they got particularly soft after the visit of a fox, which we managed to disturb early on, and so didn't lose any that night.

Thanks

2. Rubbertoe

Rubbertoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    I was told to give ours crushed oyster shells to help thicken egg shells.

3. Mamaoflots

Mamaoflots Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    They don't eat it! We also feed back their shells, but I don't know if she eats it or not.
    Will yogurt help? Just thinking calcium.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Greens like kale and collards have a lot of calcium. Honestly, when I take my egg shells out to the coop the girls act like I have scratch, and they will scarf up every piece of egg shell I toss. So maybe just give your one girl the egg shells. Chickens do normally eat the oyster shell as they need it. I keep mine in a coffee can 1/2 full where they help themselves. I always have 1 hen though that still has a soft shell, so she must not eat it or she has a problem absorbing calcium.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I grew a whole bunch of kale and collard greens for my birds this year (mainly for the peafowl), but I also feed them alfalfa hay, which the all love!

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by