1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I help my broody hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueJuniper, Dec 6, 2016.

1. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    I have my first layer shea my silkie in the nesting box nearly all day. When I go to let them outside every morning I see her in the box trying to lay an egg. Sometimes she lays, and sometimes she doesn't. I feel so bad for her, so I have very gently taken her out and put her in the run, but she will just nestle down into the dirt and sit there for a while before another chicken pecks her or walks past her. Then she will stand up and immediately go to the food, and dart to the water and go right back to the food again, and later go back up into the nesting box. I'm worried that she might be so broody to the point where she isn't getting enough food and water.

My question is if I can do anything to help her, because I know she's stressed out and hormonal. Is there anything I can do for my broody chicken?[​IMG]

Please help!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies are chronically broody and can be a bit odd as far as behaviors. Is she your only silkie? You can break her or let her continue. The best thing would be to put her to hatching in the spring. If you want to leave her be just remove her from the nest multiple times a day to get her eating more. Also check for mites and lice occasionally as broody silkies seem more prone to get them. Otherwise a few days in a broody breaking cage should get her moving again for a few weeks until she goes broody again.

3. BlueJuniper

BlueJuniper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My Coop
    She is my only silkie. Thanks for the advise!! I don't think I need her to be broody though right now![​IMG]. 8 chickens is enough for the moment.

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy BlueJuniper

I agree with oldhenlikesdogs in that if you do not want to give her fertile eggs to hatch, the best way to help her is to break her of her broodiness.

As you probably know, there are multiple threads and varied methods of breaking a broody but I have always found the broody breaker cage the quickest method.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Silkies can be bullied by other breeds. She will probably be broody a lot, mine always were, so a broody breaking cage or area will be used repeatedly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by