How do I help my ducks get along???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wyandotte102, Apr 8, 2019.

1. wyandotte102

wyandotte102 In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2019
    Florida
    Hey guys! My name is Stella, and I recently moved to country to start a little farm. I have two ducks, a drake and a hen named Honey and Butter. I recently bought two more ducklings (Happy Feet and Biscuit). I believe that one is a girl and the other a boy. I've had the ducklings for almost two months now. Honey is very aggressive to them; he attacks them any chance he gets and I literally have to pry him off of my babies. I tried putting the ducklings in the Honey's coop so he would get used to them, but I think it made it worse. He is more territorial then ever. He seems to target Happy Feet (whom I think is a girl). Happy has bald spots on her side from Honey's claws. He chases her down and then appears to mount her. For now, I have been keeping them separate. I'm not sure what to do! Any suggestions???

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    DuckyDonna and chickens really like this.
  2. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    Welcome to forum! I am going to watch this thread to see what the pros have to say.

GemmaM23 and DuckyDonna like this.
  3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Keep separated till after breeding season and he may then start targeting the young Drake once he matures. Mature Drakes are very aggressive during breeding season.

4. wyandotte102

Apr 8, 2019
    Florida
    Ok thanks!!!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Young ducks not of breeding age shouldn’t be with mature drakes either. Keep them where they can still see each other but Honey can’t get to them. What breeds?

6. wyandotte102

Apr 8, 2019
    Florida
    My big ducks (Honey and Butter) are Khaki Campbells. Happy Feet is a Crested Duck, but I'm not sure about Biscuit. He is mottled gray and white.

7. Miss Lydia

Happy feet being crested is going to have to be watched closely once breeding season starts. Especially if there is a large crest. Only thing covering the brain is a layer of fatty tissue no skull.

Can you post? we'd pics we'd love to see them.

wyandotte102 and DuckyDonna like this.
  8. wyandotte102

Apr 8, 2019
    Florida
    Honey is the brown one. He is really sweet to me but not the the ducklings. Very protective of Butter. Happy Feet is the black-and-white photograph. I am an unprofessional photographer so some of these photos are kind of artistic. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    quackiemama and DuckyDonna like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

They are beautiful ducks. Is Happy feet Cayuga? Or is that a white bib if so Black Swedish. Adorable!

wyandotte102 and DuckyDonna like this.
  10. wyandotte102

Apr 8, 2019
    Florida
    She has a white bib so I think she is a Black Swedish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: