How do I help one remaining lonely chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ban seabhag, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I had 2 Seramas hatch of 5 eggs 6 days ago and one was 'special needs". He(?) was clearly blind in one eye (shut at birth). He ate and drank well, but was a little clumsy compared to the other. We lost it this morning. The remaining chick is miserable and cries all the time. I have put a feather "friend" with him which helps, but is there anything I can do the help him more? I really am concerned for him. He is very active and healthy, but very unhappy. We have taken turns letting him sit on us for a time which also helps but of course can't be done all the time. Any advice at all?

2. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    Can you get another chick for him/her? Where are you located?

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:If possible, this is probably the best option. After my first hatch, we ended up with 1 lonely orpington chick. The next day, I went to the feedstore and picked up 2 easter egger buddies for it. The new ones were about a week older, but the 3 of them got along great. If you have this option, try to pick out brand new chicks or a calm, gentle breed if the chicks are a little older.

4. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I plan to try that, but don't know the availability of chicks right now. There is a hatchery not far from here but we don't know yet what chicks they have if any. If they are a week or two older will that be a problem? I have made sure he gets water with a dropper from time to time since I am not certain he is drinking enough, and he takes it fine. Are there any other things I might try?

5. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I am in rural Alaska but on the road system, by the way, so you see the problem.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd try to get him a buddy or 2. If you can't, then give him a mirror, so he thinks he's got another chick. Also stuffed animals help.

Many people have had lonely chicks only to have a chicken that doesn't know how to be a chicken later on.

7. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    While you're working on getting him/her a buddy. You can spend some time holding and cuddling with it? [​IMG] Mine snuggle in my sweatshirt and take little naps while I am on the computer or something...

8. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    He is much calmer this morning. I have put the mirror in and 2 mini dusters which seemed to do the trick. Will look around today for a possible buddy, but I don't have much hope up here this time of year. We have been taking him out to be close now and then, and everyone has taken turns, making sure he eats and drinks, but he (she?) is doing that on his own pretty well again. he is destined to be a house chicken anyway(!) at least for the greater part of the year, since Seramas need heat, which is great but I had hoped there would be 2-3 friends. Such a cute little guy. I feel so bad for him. My other 5 are 6+ weeks old and pretty big so I didn't want to put him in there. (Ameraucanas and Delawares). Thanks very much for the advice that everyone has given, it has been very helpful. Maybe I need to invent a virtual chicken mama with pseudo feathers and a heartbeat!

9. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an only chick who is now almost 4 months old. Indigo (AKA Peep) was the sole survivor out of TWO attempted hatchings. We felt so sorry for the little thing that we spent every minute we could with it. Being busy people, this meant it just spent a lot of time roaming the kitchen and dining room floor while we cooked, cleaned, did homework, and relaxed. We kept a roll of toilet paper on hand to clean up, and the dog and cat are both well behaved with other pets, so we just let them be. It worked out well just to let it roam because it had the opportunity to choose for itsself how much it wanted to explore. It increased as she got older to the point where she was fine being in the house alone. We had some trouble convincing her to go outside. She would go out with us, but if we didn't stay, she'd go back "home". She liked being a house chicken. Both she and the cat were greatly influenced by dogs as they grew up, so all three have the manners of a labrador (just picture standing in a crowded kitchen and dropping a bit of food and seeing a huge, pepper colored dog, a flamepoint siamese mutt cat, and a black chick who looks more like a velociraptor than a chicken all diving for the tasty morsel at the same time!)
    Our little peep (who has just stopped peeping and begun to cluck) still comes when we call her, still lets us hold her... and probly still resents being forced to live with chickens when she is so clearly a puppy, just like the cat. But we love her, and as long as you can give your chick some social and exploring time, I am sure you'll have the same sort of relationship with it.
    So my advice is just to let it hang out with you. If you have a room without carpet where other pets are not a problem, just try to do whatever you need to do in there. You can ignore the chick most of the time, and it won't care. As long as you are there, it will be happy. Sprinkle something edible in a corner and let it learn to forrage. You can read, be on the computer, cook, clean, watch movies, or even take a nap. As long as you are in the room, it won't be upset.
    Good luck!

10. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:The mirrors will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by