how do i house my roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wildriverswolf90, Sep 30, 2011.

1. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    (wasn't sure where to post this)

Ok I am looking into getting several different types of bantams, I'm getting breeding pairs but I want to keep the girls in my big coop with the main flock and big roo.
    My question is how do I house the bantam roosters, do I have to make each one its own hutch?

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    are you adding roosters into an established flock? I am not certain on your question...they can stay with the pullets...why would you separate them? I re-read your post, so you are adding..some bantam roos...you will have to integrate them into the flock over time, or keep them separate in an entirely different run and coop....

did I understand your question correctly?

3. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

If I read correctly you are getting both pullets and cockerels. Without pullets the cockerels should be fine housed together, and you would just have to introduce the pullets to the big flock. Although I don't see how you are going to breed them unless you create hutches for every pair and keep them confined for breeding time. Although I'm sure you would have to reintroduce them every time you were done breeding.

4. wildriverswolf90

wildriverswolf90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    polk county, NC
    I have some A-frame rabbit hutches that I will use when breeding.
    But I was wondering if I can put all the roosters in one tractor safely as a bacholer flock?
    THANK YOU! Sorry I'm confusing! [​IMG]

5. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah I understand. I know a breeder friend of mine has separate hutches for each pair. Well they are more like mini coops with runs for each trio. Then when he is done for the season, he stops around September, he just lets them free range the rest of the year together, as he isn't concerned with who is breeding who.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by