How do I Introduce 11 week chicks to adult hens?

nicolette

Chirping
Jul 25, 2016
I have 11 week old chicks that I need to introduce to my grown hens. We have an old dog kennel outside that we put them in during the day & the grown hens are free range during the day. But the grown hens has a coop they go into to go to bed. We have a area where we've barricaded to put the young chickens in the coop @ night. How do I start kinda blending them together?

Let the chicks run with the hens 1-2 hours the first 3 days. 2-3 Hours the next 3 days, etc. Until the hens and chicks are living together all of the time

Has anyone had experience adding 2 week old chicks to a broody with one hatchling? Is it too dangerous or can I tuck them under her at night?

Has anyone had experience adding 2 week old chicks to a broody with one hatchling? Is it too dangerous or can I tuck them under her at night?
I did this last year & I had wonderful success with it. What you do wait till the chickens is sleeping & tuck those babies under her & she'll take them no problem.

I have the kind of the same problem. I just put my chicks out in the coop with the older chickens. One of my older hen is been really aggressive with the new ones, the new chicks all have injuries. The are big enough to fight back, but don't. I have blocked of part of the coop just for them, but the will not even come out of the nesting box. They can see the bigger chickens and are terrified. Did I do something wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_1504.JPG
    IMG_1504.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 5
I have the kind of the same problem. I just put my chicks out in the coop with the older chickens. One of my older hen is been really aggressive with the new ones, the new chicks all have injuries. The are big enough to fight back, but don't. I have blocked of part of the coop just for them, but the will not even come out of the nesting box. They can see the bigger chickens and are terrified. Did I do something wrong?
Are the chicks from a broody?

Back
Top Bottom