How do i introduce a gosling safely to 2 adult geese??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by redhen, Jul 11, 2011.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So i incubated some of my Seb goose eggs. I only have the one little baby gosling... (that they tell me they think is a male)
    So i brought him outside to show him to his "momma and daddy".. i held him and let the parents check him out.... the male wasnt too bad.... just real curious.(still dont trust him though...he had that "look" ..) But the mother!!! Shes a child abuser! She looked at her baby and promptly bit him on his little face.... poor little guy screamed and tried climbing up my neck to get away from her...
    Shes a BAD momma!! [​IMG]

Soo... HOW in the heck am i EVER going to pull this one off? [​IMG]
    I dont mind brooding him inside at all.... but i worry about when hes older,... Will they attack him or what? [​IMG]

2. JordanFamily

JordanFamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Harrisonville, MO
    Keep him out of their reach but within site of them... I use a dog pen and keep the little ones in the enclosure with tehir parents but in a dog pen safely out of reach... Then after about a week they will bond and you can try putting him in with them to see what happens... Be sure the little guy can not get into their water pool or he may drown... I wait until mine start getting their adult feathers in before I allow them to live with the adults full time so they do not get drowned in the pools... Good luck!!!

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks for the help!
    Man i'm worried they will reject him... [​IMG]

4. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Quote:The gander will become very protective. You will have to worry about getting bit yourself! Watch the female and see how she reacts. My Toulouse bonded with the baby but my American Buff could care less. Do what jordan suggested though with mine they were 4 weeks and had a kiddie pool. The longer you raise them the more attached they are to you.

5. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Am going through this myself at moment. Have one gosling that was left from a hatch of two. She went in with some runner ducklings I hatched. Then I got an american buff for company a few weeks older- also female. They are all bonded together, the ducks go mental if I take the goslings out for free range time. I hatched another two goslings, and these are male/female pair. They are picked on by the older goslings/ducks. I have tried putting everyone in the field, in various formats with the 4 adult geese, with the result that the geese are really mean and peck and run the babies out, while the males are really curious and kind of go on guard. I also lost a runner duckling to predation by bid of prey.

SOoooo....no idea what to do next!!!

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:Gah!!! I dont know either... [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    our adult Sebs raise the babies for us once they are 2 months old. They are put outside in their own run for a week so the adults can see them and they we turn the babies out. We do have to put up the runner drakes though..... they are meanies and like to mate anything.

8. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    Quote:lol I kept the adults away from them till I saw their protective side come out. Which means the gander chasing away everybody and the goose honkin her head off.
    During the day I used temporary fencing in the goose run where the goslings had their own area with food and kiddie pool. At night they had their own area in the goose coop with feed and water. This way the adults were always interacting with them but could not get to them. After a couple of weeks I started letting them free range with the adults. The goslings would fall asleep with two of the adults guarding them. My female buff would just wander away
    I would think in your case that the two young goslings would be where I would start. Keep the young with the adults but fenced out of their reach and then watch how they react. They should be safe with them within 2 weeks.
    Then I would repeat this with the older goslings/ducks. They might be harder to introduce since they have already formed their flock.
    Of course, best laid plans have a way of blowing up in your face [​IMG]. Good luck!

9. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Please be careful with the ducks and the new goshlings. My 2 drakes killed my poor little baby Charlie. Everyone was fine for several weeks and then all of a sudden they just attacked him. He survived 2 days after the attack but started having seizures, so I knew he had brain injuries. That hurt me more than losing any other critter I have lost.

I wish you luck though just safety for the little guy and gal.

10. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I had 2 female Embdems that are 1 year olds and for Mother's day I got 2 new baby geese. I was worried that they would hurt them also. I put them in a dog kennel in the goose coop and I was so surprised that my Gwendolyn took them right away. She stayed by their side (while they babies were in the pen) I did this for almost 2 weeks to be certain that she really wanted to mother them. Delilah kept the duck boys occupied and everyone got along wonderfully. I then received a baby goshling that someone had hatched out from the local high school. His/her name was Charlie and he was so sweet, Gwen took him in as well and everything was fine even with the ducks until one day something changed and I noticed Charlie with a scab on his head but he seemed fine. Several days later I found my ducks attacking poor little Charlie. He survived for 2 days before he went to goose heaven and I am still broken hearted over it and it has been over a month ago.

On a good note my 2 adults Gwen and Delilah are very devoted to the babies and have demoted the ducks and they only follow around and not in the actual flock of geese. I would just be safe and try the pen at first until you know what their reactions will be.

Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by