how do I introduce my new ducks to the other ones....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle1980, May 13, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I was useing a small dog kennel to lock up my two pekins at night or when the chickens are out........ Going to put up a bigger one and build a run for when the chickens arer out. since I have runners in the bathroom..... I was going to put in a divider for them does that sound good ?

2. WildWoodsWoman

WildWoodsWoman Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Near Greenbay
    I was about to ask this very thing. I have 2 groups of ducks that have been apart. They are seperated by a fence at the moment. I'd like to put them together but all they want to do is yell and chase each other from opposite sides of the fence! They are all 6-8 weeks old and I've been trying to come up with some way to get them all together in one flock. Anyone have some suggestions???

3. Happyflower

Happyflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2009
    Midwest
    I have a similar dilemma. I have a pair of rouen ducks (male and female) and it looks like my rescue mallard is going to make it after all and I will need to introduce him to them. They have seen each other and the older tries to snap at the little one. When the weather is warmer I plan on putting the little one in a duck kennel outside for awhile until it is older. Then I am not sure what to do next.

http://thelyricalwoodshed.blogspot.com/

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    well I put up the bigger dog kennel.... meanwhile On the other side of my yard ............([​IMG] stupid drake was having his way with my chickens. [​IMG] 2 hens and my roo ran to help. I was not far behind them![​IMG]) Why I have a seprate duck area!!!!!! now I just need to pound in the fence post! that is going to be the hard part the ground around here is like cement!!!!

[​IMG] Stupid blank blank duck breed your own species!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. chickenlittle1980

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    anybody....[​IMG]

6. my1stchicks

my1stchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    North FL
    When I put my little ones in with the older ones I had them seperated with a fence so they could see each other for awhile. I waited for a few weeks while they got bigger then took the fence down and let them together under supervision. They older ones chased them a bit but nothing to harsh and the younger ones learned to stay in their own little group.
    Now they all get along quite well, they have established their pecking order and are quite happy.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I let mine see each other, my main flock (7 duck ladies and a man goose), and 2 mallards... not quite sure how old, probably about 5 weeks old at the time.. they ignored each other, or the goose would keep the little ones from eating right away, but it seemed fine. The little ones had the garden, and in the afternoons, I'd put the main flock in the garden too... then they all would sleep together in the duck shed... it went fine for a week, then one morning, I went out and the goose had skinned the feathers and skin off the backs of both ducklings. One worse than the other... so back to separation. still separated, though I added my 4 week old ducks (a cayuga and a runner) to the mallards, since they're the same size, and those 4 are getting along great... not sure how to combine groups though... will wait a while though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by