HOw do I introduce new chickens to my flock?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amberdawn281, Mar 23, 2013.

1. amberdawn281

amberdawn281 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Loomis
    I would like to get some more chicks this spring.

I have had a flock for a year now. I tried to add two 4 month old chickens to my flock and they attacked them. They would be fine when the birds were not cooped up but when they would go in for the night they would peck them. Then one time when I could not let them out and was at work they pecked my one bird to the flesh on her back. she then became crippled and ended up dying. The one is terrified of the flock! screams when they come near or never comes out of the roost unless they are out and about, then she will come out.

So with that....I am scared to get more chicken.

I am not sure on how to introduce them with out them getting killed or turning into scared birds.

Any advice?

2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Separate them with a fence for about another month and leave them side by side where they can still see each other. Merge them after that month and they should be fine! PM me with any questions you have!

3. amberdawn281

amberdawn281 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Loomis
    Oh I will. Thank you. I will have to give this a try!

4. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Be sure to PM me and let me know how it goes!

5. cmoore333

cmoore333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    When I introduced four hens about 2 months ago I had the new girls in a pen, and my old flock was free ranging, but they could see each other, after three weeks, the new hens escaped and mingled great, even my rooster accepted them.. There was a few moments of them tring to figure out the pecking order but it went rather smoothly.. Iv done this three times.. Right now I have six, baby chicks in the pen, who are 7 weeks old,just waiting for me to get a tad bigger:) before I let them free range with the older ones..:)

6. amberdawn281

amberdawn281 New Egg

Oct 2, 2012
    Loomis
    I am going to get some babies tomorrow so I will let you all know how it goes when its time to combine everyone!
    Thank you!

7. cmoore333

Jan 28, 2013
    Just let my baby chicks out to free range two days ago:) it went smoothly, a few of the hens let the youger ones who was top hen:) they are 9 weeks old... I know have my 3 week chicks outside in the small coop:) to do the whole process again:) a bit esrlier then last time, but it's alot warmer:)

8. cmoore333

Jan 28, 2013
    Ha ha I just reread my earlier post and I mis calculated how old they where, the weeks went so fast...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by