How do I keep 2 roosters separate?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grnidone, Mar 21, 2019.

1. grnidone

grnidone Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    I want to make a hoop coop. Specifically, the Chook-a-holic Permanent Hoop Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/permanent-hoop-coop-guide.47818/

What I'm thinking is that I can put a wall down the center (from front to back) and put a rooster on each side, each with their own set of hens.

What kind of wall do I need to keep them from going after each other? Can I make a "stiff tarp wall?" Or do I need some kind of wooden wall?

They've gone after each other through the metal quarter inch fabric. *sighs*

Thanks.

PS. No, "the freezer" isn't an option. Nor is getting rid of one or the other. Please don't mention this, it upsets me.

OhZark Biddies likes this.
  2. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    If I’m understanding correctly, then you could just use two 4’x8’ sheets of plywood to split the 16’ length in half... the hoop is 6’ ish tall, so you would just need 2’ or so of wire above the plywood.

Edit to add
    Of course this would split the centered door, so you’d likely need two doors.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. roosterhavoc

roosterhavoc Free Ranging

Jan 5, 2012
    If you want to avoid problems go with some sort of solid wall you will never have to worry about coming undone or tearing.

Wyorp Rock, aart and OhZark Biddies like this.
  4. honanbm

honanbm Guess it's just you and me, chicken hat

May 25, 2015
    Western Washington
    Hmmm, I can foresee issues with cutting the coop in half lengthwise from front to back. The main one being your maneuverability while inside the coop. Hoop coops are awesome (I have two), but there is not a lot of head room on the sides. If you remove the center space for moving around, you might find it pretty uncomfortable to get anything done in there. Plus, the door placement would be a bit tricky.
    Could you cut it in half the other way (hamburger style instead of hot dog)? Might work a bit better for your comfort alone. You would still need two doors, though.

aart and OhZark Biddies like this.
  5. grnidone

grnidone Songster

Jul 9, 2016
    Russell, Kansas
    I don't know the hamburger vs hotdog, but if you mean cut in half crosswise instead of lengthwise, I do agree that would give me more head room. I'm only 5'2" , so headroom
    Isn't something I even considered. Might have to think about that.

OhZark Biddies and honanbm like this.
  6. honanbm

honanbm Guess it's just you and me, chicken hat

May 25, 2015
    Western Washington
    That's exactly what I mean :lol:
    I'm 5'4" and I hit my head on the sides all the time. If I didn't have the center to move around, I think I'd lose my temper at an alarming frequency.

aart and OhZark Biddies like this.
  7. Ted Brown

Ted Brown Songster

A thought... What about a chicken wire wall? You would need some stakes along the bottom, perhaps a six inch trough staked and then filled (rocks, earth, etc.); clamped or wired to the hoop. Obviously doors would be needed at both ends.

Several advantages - inexpensive, visually appealing as you would see everybody from anywhere, easy to build (a curved wall from any solid material is not straight forward).

8. OhZark Biddies

OhZark Biddies Crowing

Apr 13, 2018
    s. central Missouri
    My Coop
    Roosters will often fight through the wire, which can cause them to injure themselves.

Typically when raising two roosters in adjoining pens you’d want a solid visual barrier to keep them from seeing each other, so at least a couple feet tall, it can be wire above that though.

m1chelle1 likes this.
  9. Ted Brown

Ted Brown Songster

Ah, I did not know.

Add a two foot strip of tarp or perhaps bamboo curtain across the bottom?

10. janiedoe

janiedoe Songster

May 7, 2017
    East Texas
    Have you considered building your hoop coop so that it is two coops back to back, with a door in each end?
    I sympathize with your rooster problem. I have two that got along until around 9 months. They have separate hens, separate coops & runs, and a cross fenced yard. They fight through the cross fencing. I still enjoy both flocks. Good luck with your flocks and your building project.

honanbm and OhZark Biddies like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: