How do I keep a rooster without making my neighbors mad?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hcammack, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I was wondering how to do this they wouldn't like crowing its not against the rules but I said I wouldn't get one but now I really need a amerucana rooster. Is their a coop design that would keep him quite during the night and early morning? can I keep him in a dark shed untill 9 on weekends or would that throw off his alarm clock and it seems cruel! also I don't like the idea of keeping him in a box to small for him to crow in. Maybe a sound proof mini coop in the shed and then he can go out with the ladies for protection and mating during the day? IDEA'S PLEASE ! the neighbor that I would be most worried about their dog just killed a hen a few months back maybe they would have to put up with him then because he is protection again their dog. I have two very good quality Wheten amerucana hens and want to sell hatching eggs our neighbor hood isn't quite any way we are next to the belt way. HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

any idea's ? how do those of you who live in the suburbs and have roo's keep them quite?

Thanks,
    Henry

Henry

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Someone here was using a 'black out' method to keep her hens quiet until later in the morning when she let them out. Maybe that would work.

As far as the neighbors, if their dog has killed one of your hens, that's exactly what I would mention to them in passing, "He's protection from predators. End of story."

Good luck.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thanks Shellie,
    oh forgot to add its not so much the neighbors that is the problem it the parents [​IMG] just the mention of more chickens sends shivers down their spines. I am going away for most of the summer so maybe after that I can add him. When the neighbors who are also customers really get used to dealing with chickens which is a new thing here [​IMG]

Suggestions still appriciated!

Henry

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hi Henry,

i have accidentally stumbled upon a way to make my young rooster stay quiet in the morning. We just moved a month and a half ago, and are still working on predator-proof runs and coops. In the meantime, i put all my chickens in a secure shed at night (no windows), then let them out into temporary pens when i'm home during the day. i guess it works like a black box, because all is quiet until i open that door and the chickens begin clammering to get out and Chester starts crowing.

Thinking now that even after the outdoor set up is complete, i may tuck Chester and a couple girlfriends into bed in the darkened shed at night. It will only be a problem when summer hits and it's too hot inside with no ventilation. i guess then my neighbors will have to just tolerate his singing. He does have a lovely voice, by the way. [​IMG]

Colleen

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Thank you so much chickngurl and airheart I will print this post and that post and show my parents I want to breed ameruacanas so bad and my mom and I were just talking about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    We live in a rural subdivision with one acre lots, and just about all animals are allowed. Of all the noises going on at night (especially from our next-door neighbor, with horses, pigeons, ducks, geese, goats, turkeys, etc) by far the worst, most annoying are the dogs. And they are everywhere, and everyone seems entitled to have them and to let them bark, outdoors, all night long. Just compare the results of complaining about a crowing rooster versus complaining about a barking, howling dog.

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    people hear did not even now what a non white or RIR chicken was LOL their are no other animals and peoples dogs are very annoying and smellier than chickens my neighborhood does have very reasonable codes. My dog would make a great farm dog because the only thing she barks at is other dogs and people she doesn't know LOL. I have compiled support so I can argue the point to my parents after exams [​IMG] they said that would be ok as long as I stay focused.

9. talos321

talos321 Chillin' With My Peeps

My big Buff Orp crows at 3am every morning when it is still dark. So, I don't know.

[​IMG]

10. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My roo crows in the middle of the night and all during the day, regardless of how much light is outside. He thinks he's a gangsta, I went outside the other night at like 2am and he heard me and started crowing, then when I told him to shut up he calmed down. Maybe cause he recognized my voice??? Are chickens smart enough for that???? LOL!!! Good luck with that, I'm hoping no one complains!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by