How do I keep cats away from chicks.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickfriend1797, Mar 25, 2017.

1. chickfriend1797

chickfriend1797 New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    I'm planning on getting chicks and need to know how to keep my two cats from bothering them. Is there anyone who can help? The chicks will be indoors for their first few weeks before they're coop ready.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! How exciting for you to be getting new chicks :clap Keeping the brooder covered but so it has plenty of ventilation will be needed. Please do check out our brooder section here for some great ideas -~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Good luck with your new chicks and enjoy your time here on BYC :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, chickfriend1797, and [​IMG]! Glad you joined our community! I can't be of much help as I have never had an issue with my cats bothering my chicks of chickens. No special training or anything has taken place. I mean, how do you train cats anyway? [​IMG]
    But they are secure from the cats while in the brooder and then by the time they are of a certain size - coop size - the cats just leave them alone. So, I think it's all about taking care of them in the early stages and then by the time the chicks are bigger the cats either don't want to tackle them at that size (although I don't know if this is true - my cats drag back whole rabbits) or just recognize them as part of the "family."
    Here's a link to old threads where cats and chicks are discussed. Maybe you can glean some good info from them. Good luck to you and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=cats+and+chicks

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please make sure you have a wire top on your brooder that the cats can't claw away or push off- they will try. A few weeks back some new member showed us a big stand up high walk in area roofed, wooden frame and hardware cloth that surrounded the brooder, and he locked. That's how certain he wanted to protect his chicks from his housecats.
    That's probably what it takes.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Building a secure brooder is your first step - you can further protect the birds by placing the brooder in a room or place that can be shut off from the cat(s).

6. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You've received some good ideas so I'll just say hello and thanks for joining us!

7. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! You've already been given some wonderful ideas, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

9. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under chickfriend1797 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some good advice, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

10. TheSUSIE

TheSUSIE Just Hatched

Mar 26, 2017
    Somewhere in a Coop
    Welcome!!!! I have just joined as well and I am having a total blast with other chicken gals! I have a cat and when we were keeping our chicks indoors in our brooders we made a top with chicken wire nailed into wood! It was very helpful!!! also when our cat got curious I swapped him on the nose and told him no! I kept a close eye on him until he left them alone. If you cat(s) get too curious just show your cat its place.

When we moved them outside, our coop is enclosed fully, he tried to climb on the roof of our coop! we let him because we have a roof, (and also i couldn't reach that awful little guy!) Now hes perfectly good and never hangs around the coop. But i still keep a close eye on him! thats my advice... WELCOME TO THE FLOCK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by