1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I keep chicks from hurting eachother?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lilaby Babys, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    I have two chicks and one is newly hatched, the other is 3 days older than it. my oldest one will peck the other until it bleeds so I have a box I put the new one in. How do I keep them from hurting eachother. When can I take the new one out of the box and know it wont get hurt.

P.S. I have a chick on my keyboard right now lol [​IMG]

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I raise 1000's and 1000's and 1000's and the way I do it is Not mix older with younger. Now only 3 days apart I have never had a problem mixing them. Does this younger chick seem to have a problem---the way it acts/walks, etc which draws the other chicks to it. A weaker chick can be pecked to death. I would try to keep them in the same brooder, but separated with wire that's big enough to put their heads through but not their body. Feed them at the edge of the cage---if they start to peck it--it can back away---should be introduced and get along of a couple days where you can put them together----but while you watch it to start with.

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What does you brooder look like, can you split it with wire mesh to separate?

You need a chick jail to put over the pecker.
    Made of 1/2" hardware cloth.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Lilaby Babys

Feb 28, 2017
    As of now my chicks are just fine and are very happy siblings, I fixed the issue by taking them both out to do what they love which is scratching at my carpet looking for things they shouldn't eat, and climbing all over me. In this case I put a blanket down and put tiny bits of spagghetti noodles down for them to peck and allowed my body to be a jungle gym. they found this very exciting and it took their mind off each other. I did this several times and they have greatly bonded over it. although if my room wasn't 80 to 90 degrees because of the brooder I wouldn't be taking them out. To this day they are the nicest little chicks you could have.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Chicks need to have time out of brooder temps. Even if your room was down to 70* or lower, it would be GOOD for them to be out from under the brooder heat for a while.

6. Lilaby Babys

Feb 28, 2017
    yeah my chicks are getting more accustomed to being out in colder temps because I take them out so often

7. MigraineMan

MigraineMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2017
    Frederick, Maryland
    Our chicks will occasionally peck at each other if there's nothing else to do. One in particular will climb onto the feeder and play "king of the hill."

We added a stick as a perch, and that seems to help. They like to peck at a hunk of zucchini. My wife picked up mealworms from TSC, and that appears to be the chicken equivalent of catnip. My experience is very limited, but having "something to do" seems to be a good thing for chicks. If you were stuck in a brooder, you'd get bored too, yes?

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're discovering things about chicks. Pay attention and remember.

Chicks like distractions such as the noodles you scattered, and shiny marbles and shiny duct tape stuck on a wall will also provide diversions. Keep using your imagination. You may also discipline a naughty chick with a quick but gentle poke on its back. This is how a broody hen teaches her chicks to fall into line.

Brooder temps refer only to the spot directly beneath the heat source. Chicks actually benefit, as LG pointed out, from time spent in much cooler spaces. At age two weeks, you can even safely take your chicks outdoors on nice days for brief field trips to scratch in real dirt and eat real grass and bugs. They will tell you when they need a warmup by huddling together for warmth. Don't worry, they won't go into shock in the few minutes until you can get them under a heat source again.

The heat weaning process should begin at the end of the first week. Too many folks mistakenly believe chicks are like hamburger patties that need to be kept constantly warm for six weeks. By the end of their fourth week, age five weeks, if you've been reducing their exposure to heat, they should no longer require any at all. Yet there are people who think chicks need to be kept at 90F for six weeks straight. The heat guidelines would serve people better with a bit more information as to why chicks need heat (to replace lost body heat) and why they also need freedom from it (to promote feather growth and to wean off heat gradually).

1 person likes this.
  9. astralorpeffect

astralorpeffect New Egg

Mar 15, 2017
    Excuse me, I'm new here and we have our very first batch of chicks. However one of my little tiny black australorps won't drink from our caterers. We have to give her water by dropper and when she looks she has trouble going, her vent is really swollen and before she had diarrhoea. Now the older ones are specimen at her vent til' it bleeds and we don't know what to do. So we pulled her out and are keeping her warm. What should we do? Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks,
    Australorpeffect

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How many chicks, what are the dimensions of your brooder? What are you using for a heat source? How old are the chicks? And what is the temperature under the heat and at the opposite end of the brooder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by