How do I keep Ducks with Chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MegsFlock3, Dec 29, 2014.

1. MegsFlock3

MegsFlock3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2014
    I am thinking about getting one or two ducks to keep with my chickens.

Is it not a good idea to raise ducklings when my chickens are already about 6-7 months old?
    I would REALLY APPRECIATE some recommendations on how to do this.
    Thanks!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Generally, it seems best to keep them separate till they are about the same size, then slowly introduce them, first by letting them see each other through a divider fence. In fact, you could raise them next to each other so they get used to each other over time. But I would not let them interact directly till they are all the same size.

And I would not have drakes in the flock - they can be a danger to chickens. Not always, but it's what I consider a big risk.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. MegsFlock3

Oct 9, 2014
    I wasn't planning on keeping any drakes. Can my chickens share the same nest box with them?

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My Runners don't use nest boxes. They like to make their own nests in corners. So I just attached a couple of 2'x2' thick plywood boards at 90 degrees to the wall, to make a corner, and they make nests there. They also sometimes just lay the eggs in another corner without making a nest.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    one of my chickens would lay an egg in the duck hut bin every now and then.

6. MegsFlock3

Oct 9, 2014
    I have a dog house- looking thing inside my run that allows my chickens to roost comfortably. Would the duck sleep under the chickens while they are roosting or will it roost too? I can make another little house thing to give the duck somewhere to sleep. All suggestions wil be much appreciated.:weee

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am told that chickens will poop on the ducks below, so some kind of shelf to keep them clean would be good.

Ducks always need water with food, so design a way to manage that to keep bedding dry. I made a watering station from the bottom of a large plastic dog carrier.

8. MegsFlock3

Oct 9, 2014
    If I were to make a little duck house for sleeping in and put her in it every night and shut the door and then opened it the next morning, would she eventually get the idea that she is supposed to go in it every night? Will she do it herself?

9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Depends on the duck. You will also need to get more than one duck because they will get lonely. My pekins would go in their house at night when I told them it was time for bed but never on their own. I used treats to get them to associate their house as a good thing.

10. MegsFlock3

Oct 9, 2014
    I was planning on getting a pekin. But, will the duck still be lonely even with my four chickens in the same coop? Or do they prefer having another duck around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by