How do I keep my bantams warm in winter in Brisbane, Australia - Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aussie new mum, May 2, 2009.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    HI I apologise in advance if I have put this in the wrong section - I wasn't sure where it should go.
    We are in Brisbane, Australia and have just entered Autumn. The nights are getting chillier and in WINTER our days are sometimes a minimum of 17 C (63F) and nights between 8 & 10 C (47 - 50 F). I have 2 bantams - the bottom of the coop is open but they have a ramp that leads to an upstairs fully enclosed sleeping/perching area (except for where the door for the ramp is). I have made removable panels to cover the side and back of the coop but want to know if they will be warm enough in the sleeping area on their perch or if I need to insulate their sleeping area? They both free range the entire day and can find a lot of spots of sun to keep warm in . Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    Justine

2. sugarbush

sugarbush Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Lexington KY
    Just protect them from drafts and they will be fine down to bellow zero temps... which I doubt you get in that part of the world.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I fully agree with sugarbush. You need ventilation in any climate to keep the humidity and ammonia down, but as long as they are not in a draft, they can easily handle temperatures to (-) 10 C. With your temperatures, I'm not even sure a slight draft would harm them.

4. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Thank you so much for your advice - this is the first winter I've had them.
    Justine

5. haycroft

haycroft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    UK
    i live in the uk and also have bantams and we have colder winters and my lot just do fine...maybe i'll put some extra bedding in the coop appart from that they survive ok

we looking forward to our summer which starts next month...hope its not a wet one like last year

6. ctychix

ctychix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    San Francisco East Bay
    When it freezes I use a 100W lite bulb well away from the shavings to warm the air.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I totally agree. Our winter (daytime) temps. sometimes get down into the teens. Our summer temps. soar past a 100. I have a draft free coop and do not heat it.

8. Lin20

Lin20 Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    I would've asked the same question too as I hve 2 bantams in brisbane. It's 8C overnight and I came on here to find an answer :) Thank you all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by