How do I keep my chickens from being bored?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Flock Master64, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Hello!

I have 3 Amber Link hens, 1 White Leghorn hen, 1 Buff Brahma pullet, 1 Olive Egger pullet, 1 Chocolate Cuckoo cockerel. I was wondering how to keep them from being bored while they're locked up in their run. Usually they are free range but I've been having some bad weather latley so I've kept them locked up. All they do during the day is lay in the same spot. I was thinking about getting and old trailler tire and filling that with sand so they could have a bust bath but I currently don't have one of those. They do have a toy ball that I fill with treats and when they kick it around the treats come out, but I only have one and they don't like to share it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What I do to entertain the ladies....I have horses so have a few alfalfa bales...These are a couple winter time boredom busters...I put a flake of alfalfa in the run and hide scratch in it...They love scratching and pecking the dry grasses...I give a pumpkin or squash with a couple of holes and they peck that clean..
    As far as thinking you need a tire? Not really, you can dig out an indent in the run and fill with a mix of sand and dirt...I have a sand run and I add my ashes from my wood stove and fire pit..If your birds like shiny things? Old scratched CDs hung by string can entertain them....Mirrors...I have stumps and a swing with roosts in my run....

Cheers!

4. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Thanks for the advice, I put a few logs in this morning and they were jumping on those

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Brain storm....An old wooden chair, wooden ladder, all kinds of things entertain a Chicken...

Cheers!

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    They're quite easy to entertain. Treats they have to work on/work for is super popular with chickens of course, and as others mentioned they love climbing on things like branches. digging through dirt and grass, etc. I was cleaning out the run this morning and had a paper bag and a rake in there, and whichever I wasn't using they were trying to play with - pecking on the rake, pulling on the handles of the bag. I wouldn't leave those in as toys but just goes to show that anything "new" is interesting to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by