How do I keep my hen from eatting the chick feed and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Scooter&Suzie, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    In the spring my Silkes will be laying, so I was thinking of letting them raise a batch of chickens. I have one rooster, and two that I don't know the gender of. You see, they are about 12 weeks, so I can't tell the gender yet, but one crows a couple times around 8:00 in the morning. I will trade off and buy and sell, so I will soon have 2 hens, and one rooster. Once their chicks hatch, how do I let the mommies and daddy eat the adult food, and let the babies eat chick food? I heard that chick food won't hurt the mommy, but what about the daddy and the other silkie hen? Would they be okay? I would just put the adult food where the chicks can't reach it, using a bungie cord or something. Also, when they need grower/finisher feed how do I do that? I'm afraid they will eat the wrong food and DIE! Now how does everyone else do this? Do you feed a certain feed that any chicken can eat?

2. jason180sx

jason180sx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    ireland
    when i hatch
    i take the hen away from the flock
    because the other hen might kill the chicks

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh. I could do that. I have a small coop... but what if both of my silkes go broody? I heard the chicks will follow the rooster around too. For silkies I mean.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feed everyone a feed they can ALL eat. Done. Offer shells on the side for those hens that seek it. Chicks won't bother with it much.

Choices are: Starter, Grower, Raiser, etc. Anything but high calcium layer.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Fred's Hens :

Feed everyone a feed they can ALL eat. Done. Offer shells on the side for those hens that seek it. Chicks won't bother with it much.

Choices are: Starter, Grower, Raiser, etc. Anything but high calcium layer.

So anything but layer? Should I doe Grower since it is inbetween, or should I start out with starter for my chicks sake? Or would raiser be best?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by