How do I keep the chicken from crossing the road?

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
My SLW seems freakishly attracted to the road in front of my house. When the girls are out free-ranging she always ends up in the street.
barnie.gif

Thankfully there isn't much traffic and what traffic there is slows down and drives around her. She used to freak out when a car came by and would run back to the grass. Now she just keeps poking around out there. I can't fence the whole thing and I hate to not let her out to range. Any tricks to keeping her away from the road?

last year my chickens were in the road and across to my neighbors yard. now I only let them out and hour or 2 before they go in to bed and they dont have time to wonder that far and this year the roo is more mature and wont let them cross.

just right next to the road get one of those fake owl or hawk staues and put in right by the end of your property and the road, that way it keeps your chicken away from the road

so your more worried about what your neighbors think then for the life of your chicken or were you saying it sarcastically as saying putting an owl out there is just as crazy as having an elephant in your front yard

Well, I was thinking less elephant and more pink flamingo, but whatever...
roll.png
If I were concerned about what the neighbors think I likely wouldn't have gotten the chickens in the first place. The joy of living in the county is not having to worry about what the neighbors think.

Clearly I am concerned about the well being of my chicken as I asked the question. If I cannot break her of it she will no longer be allowed to free range. Not only is it not safe for her, it is also not safe for the cars driving up and down my street. If a plastic owl will do the trick, then I'll put out a plastic owl. Unfortunately the property frontage is about as long as a football field, so it likely will take more than one. My previous experience with plastic owls would lead me to believe that they are a waste of money as the song birds and squirrels and whatnot around me have never paid them any attention.

I have to tell you though that I am not convinced that anything short of a real owl will actually scare the willies out of this chicken. She has shown no fear about the dogs and cats, nor does she show any fear of the multi-ton vehicles running up and down the street. Her rooster also does not seem spooked by the road. I was hoping for suggestions that would make the whole road front unappealing (plantings, water guns, attractive less expensive alternatives to fencing, etc). There's an entire acre for them to tromp around on that is not near the road. I was really hoping that someone would pop in with personal experience with this matter and would tell me what worked for them.

hmmm how about a poop from the water hose... could you get a hose to the property line and when she gets too close...squirt her with it?

Mine avoid the sprinkler even when it is not on after getting hit by it a couple of times.

Just a thought.

She may have learned that cars stop for her... if the front can't be fenced off with even just cheap garden fence meant to keep... well nothing out really, just to act as an unworthy obstacle to go by, I'd be inclined to coop her up.

Else... you can try to "run her over" a few times or scare her badily making her think it was the car causing it, to get into her head that cars are not to be messed with. Maybe drive your car down the road when she is on/near it but spray her down with the hose at the same time, or throw a frizzbee or pie tin out the window to scare her away from cars.

I live along the highway in a city where traffic is stop and go during rush hour, but the birds will run away from cars... except mine, as they have learned the red one stops but the other color ones just keep on going.

Sadly the first ten feet from the road is mowed by the county tractors. I can't put anything right along the edge. I think she's probably clever enough to just go around anything that I set back off the road.

I'll try reving up the car and zooming by her. Maybe if the car is scary again...

The water sprinkler is a good idea. If I just have it on when they are out maybe she will lose interest in that part of the yard.

Has anyone ever tried the crash can theory like you do to teach cats to stay off counters and stuff? She runs away when I go out there waving my bamboo stick. Maybe if I hurl something loud and crashy it'll keep her away. Dunno...

She's a great chicken and really enjoys her wanders about the yard. I would hate to have to keep her cooped up.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom