How do I keep the coop cool in summer heat

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Housefull, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    We have a pretty large coop and recently moved to dryer lower elevation. Our ladies were used to grass and mountains now we are in a dry heat...and it gets hot. I have seen the girls hot a couple times. I've been sending them out cold watermelon and half frozen corn on the cob that they love. Does anyone know how to cool the coop without installing ac lol.

2. djennings

djennings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Sabine Pass, TX.
    We have a fan in our coop. We also take and freeze 1 gallon jugs of water so we can sit it in their coop or where ever you want it and they will stand or sit by it. Will also take frozen water bottles and sit down in their water.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have two fans in my coop, one blowing out one window and one blowing in another window. I am just attempting to move as much air as possible.
    That being said since they only go in there in this heat to lay and roost I look for ways to cool them off outdoors. Honestly the best way I have found is just to give them a shower.
    I simple turn the garden hose nozzel on the shower setting and get them wet. Did it last night around 6:30. They were all panting excessively and wings held way out. Once showered they stopped the preceding.
    You do have to shut the coop door first because being chickens they don't like getting wet and make a bee line for the coop.

5. Housefull

Housefull Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Thanks everyone. We get tons of air flow it's just so stinkin hot. I will try the frozen jugs. I am about to put a ac unit out there, I've seen them all panting one to many times. Poor girls might get the hose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by