how do i keep the goats from eating the chickens food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by brahmakid11, Sep 16, 2011.

1. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    do you have any suggestions how to keep the goats from eating all the chickens food i am getting really mad with those goats getting in the chickens area and eating all the chickens food!!!!!! [​IMG] do know anything about how to get these stupid goats to stop

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Remove either the food or the goats - that's the only way I do it - when the goats go back tot hteir pen, I put the food back out

3. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

My two goats CANNOT be left out near the chickens pen. As soon as they see the gate open they dart in there and start gobbling down all the feed. I've learned not to let them out when the chickens are out. Could you put the feed up on a shelf that only the chickens can fly to?

4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Not sure if this is feasible for you, but this is how I'd do it:

Put feeders in the coop only. If you need 2, 3 ,4 feeders, go for it. Have two doors for the coop--a human door and a small chicken pop-door. Human door should be opened only for human access. Chicken door is open during the day. The pop door should be big enough for the chooks, but too small for the goats. They will go in during the day when they need food.

This won't work if you have a large flock, though.

5. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Quote:We have Nigerian/Pygmy does and they fit their big bellies in our pop doors. Sneaky little things.... And onto my car, and in the truck when I am getting feed out, and into the house if the kids leave the door open, and my tenants house if she leaves the door open. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by