How do I keep the grassy run clean?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickyboomboom, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    So I have a 5x15 foot run set on some grass (soon to be dirt I'm sure) where the chickens live. I have a dashchund who wants to eat them, so the chickens have to be in the run when they are unsupervised... We'll be letting them free range occasionally when we are home.

Anyway, it's getting kinda poopy in there. How do I keep that area clean? I have 1.5 feet of hardware cloth as an apron going through both sides, so I don't think a rake would work. Can I hose off the area once in a while?

Wondering what others do?

2. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    Mine free range all day, but if I were you I would consider building them a tractor coop so you can move it around to different areas of the yard. I'm not sure how expensive they are, but maybe you could build one. Maybe it would be worth it to have them in a clean grassy area at all times????

3. chickyboomboom

chickyboomboom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Thanks!

I do have a makeshift tractor (dog pen) and used it the other day. I plan to use it more often for longer periods of time, as I am sure this will cut down on the poop in the run and give the girls lots of fresh greens and bugs... I guess I should make it more predator proof (dashchund proof)!

I'm thinking I could put the chickens in that in the morning, hose down the run, and by evening, put them back in it. Hoping it will be dry enough by then...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by