How do I keep the smell down in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by psinatra, Oct 12, 2007.

1. psinatra

psinatra New Egg

May 14, 2007
    I have 12 chickens and a turkey. It has been dry most of the summer, but we just got a lot of rain. Now the run smells and I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

2. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sweet PDZ. It's a clay type powder you sprinkle around and it gets rid of the smell. You can get it in 25 or 40 pound bags for under $10.

3. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    i hope your turkey isnt in the same pen as your chickens, if it is, black head disease can be contracted.

4. psinatra

psinatra New Egg

May 14, 2007
    Thanks Blondie I never heard of Sweet PDZ. [​IMG]

I have had the turkey in the same coop as the chickens since they were babies and have not had a problem yet.

5. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    You could also use some agriculture or hydrated lime. Just be sure to rake it in good before letting the chickens back on it.

My best solution for yucky pens is sand... It drains well and help keeps the pens from being too sloppy.

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Sand definately was the best thing I ever did.

7. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    [​IMG] My husband runs the tiller in the run and cultivates the soil under. The chickens absolutely loves it when he runs the tiller as it gives them something to scratch for as the dirt has been tilled up. It really helps with the smell and fertilizes your soil.

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I do the same, we have a little Troy-Bilt tiller that I use in the run. I dump grass clippings in there and till them in (I'd use leaves if we had any). It improves drainage and gives the nitrogen something to break down instead of depleting the organic material or leaching into the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by