How DO I keep the water in the Waterers from smelling?

Joe.G

Songster
8 Years
Nov 16, 2011
Eastern NY
Hi, I change the water daily in some of my Coops and every other day in others, I use Metal 5 Gallon Waters, THey seem to get a bad smeel inside of them, is there anything I can do to stop this?

It sounds like it is just the waterer? The water shouldn't produce any foul smell - unless your tap water has an issue? I would try cleaning them out with soap and then seeing if the smell persists.

Yes my Water is fine, I do clean them, out but it just seems that after a few days the smell is back, IS there anything I can add to the water?

I am not aware of anything that can be added that will take the smell away and will not harm the birds. Just be careful in adding stuff, as it could have some type of effect on the chickens. Strange though. Have you considered switching to plastic waterers?

I use the metal waterers and get the same problem unless I bleach them out every 2 weeks. I pour straight bleach- a glug of it- into water inside the waterer to try to make a 1:10 solution and then scrub the whole thing down with a toilet brush (not used on toilets obviously :).

I rinse well and this helps to keep the algae away in summer too (they can get algae poisoning I have read).

This works for me! No stinky waterers!

Be sure to rinse well as they cannot be drinking bleach water!

Last edited:
I bleach mine as well, making sure to rinse very well before filling. I don't do it because of the smell, just to make sure nothing yucky is growing in there.
smile.png

if you have plastic waterers you can use vinegar about 1T per gallon. do not use in metal, I have red you can also use manna pro, this I have not tried. I usually clean mine every 2 days any how and with plastic and ACV(apple cider vinegar) I don't need to use bleach. Just brush them out with warm water or a rag

Back
Top Bottom