How do I keep their food separate?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babsh, May 6, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have a momma hen with 8 babies who have recently joined our flock of 8 adult birds. How do I make sure the babies have chick food and keep the adults from eating it? So far, they forage all day and when they "go to bed" for the night (we keep them separate at night) I put a dish in for them. So they get some in the morning. But when I put their dish in the run, my big girls eat it all.

I'm assuming this is a common problem if you have a broody with chicks. how do you handle this?

TIA

2. TheBuff

TheBuff Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    S.E. IOWA
    keep them seperate during day. Bigger hen will attack the little ones,

3. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
  4. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Quote:That does help, thanks!

However, now I'm a bit freaked about having the chicks with the rest of the flock! I have heard totally opposing opinions on this. So far, the babies are in with mom and the rest of our flock (8 adults) and it seems to be going fine. I separate them at night. I have seen the babies get pecked by one of the big girls, but then mom fluffs up and they go away.

Barb

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    i think it really depends on your flock. We read that you should keep them seperate until they get the same size but we tried seeing how they would do. We keep them in a seperate pen for about a week then we let them out and supervised alot. However everyone seemed to get along well. There is small amounts of pecking but thats when the babies get to close and nosey but a small peck and everything is back to normal. They eat together fine and even roost at night together. You can check out our page and see some pics of them all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by