How do I keep wild birds out of the chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fluffychickens6, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    I have two pullets (around 4-5 months old) and I've just noticed that there are two little sparrows (i think...?) that are getting in while they're free ranging and I leave their coop door open so that they can go in and out when they want to. I saw that a sparrow was inside and omelet (my buff orpington) was just standing there staring at it and kind of jumping a bit and scattering inside the coop and she scared the sparrow away and mocha (my rhode island red) just ran away into the garden and hid there. I already saw that the sparrow brought a friend in less than 5 min and I don't want the sparrows to bring back too many because i heard that the wild birds can give them viruses, mites, lice, and all that. I heard u could use wind chimes or CDs or bird scare flash tape but will that scare my two pullets? Also, I think today's the FIRST day they decided to actually go into the coop because I normally watch over them or my mom or dad does when I'm at school and they've been hanging around in the tree near them and in the garden like they were stalking them or something. At first I thought it was kinda cute? cuz they were just outside the coop and walking kinda close to my pullets and they were so much smaller it was kinda lyk their chicks? XD but then i they went INTO the coop =-= [​IMG]
    Any tips? [​IMG]
    thank you!![​IMG]

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    All I can think of is placing a bird feeder remote from your coop. But even though my bird feeder is far away from mine, the wild birds still come around the coop. They are either looking for food or a place to get out of the weather.

3. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    BB gun.

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would hang strips of plastic that your chickens would have to learn to walk through to gain entrance to the coop over your pop door.

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Good idea. So simple, and would work.

6. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    thank u! I'll try this out! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by