How do I know if a chick has mites?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by beylabean, Feb 22, 2016.

1. beylabean

beylabean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    I have just purchased 11 chicks. They are straight run and a couple different hatches (1 Sexlink 4 days old, 6 SLW that are 3 days, 3 SLW day olds and 2 SLW that are 2 weeks old) All are in the same brooder box, but I noticed that one of the 2 week olds is scratching at his/her head and picking at it's feathers. Not sure what to look for if it were to be mites.
    I do have DE sprinkled in the brooder just in case. But just thought I'd ask and see if I can catch it before it spreads, if it is in fact mites.
    Maybe I'm just being a paranoid first timer [​IMG]

Any help appreciated :)

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Please don't put DE or any thing else in there UNLESS you have seen mites. They can be seen with a good magnifying glass. The chicks will do a LOT of scratching. Pushing out those new little feathers is itchy business. Enjoy your babies! Also, it's important to have that brooder cool enough. They should have at least 1 sq. foot per bird, and be able to get away from the heat to room temp or below at the far end of the brooder.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  3. beylabean

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    AY...Why is there conflicting info on DE? I read that it was good to use! ?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    It's very hard on the lungs, and not terribly effective on the target organisms.

5. beylabean

Apr 6, 2015
    Ontario,Canada
    Ok! Thanks for the info! I will check them over this afternoon and clean out the brooder :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by